2006 Denali 6.0 cam/heads/intake upgrade kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridculous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You weren't kidding about it not being a simple bolt on, but after reading it 3 or 4 times, it doesn't seem like it will be too bad, this is what I found. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264691

which leads me to my next question. ..Do you know if the FAST intake manifold requires as much fabrication? Or does it come with adapters to make it a bit less trouble prone? It seems after all is said and done it would only be a couple few hundred bucks more, and worth it if there is the fab hassle?

Comes with the adapters but it is NOT a direct fit...I would look at some threads at performance truck before pulling the trigger. I paid a shop to install it during my 408 build and it took them a couple of hours and calling Fast to get it on. The good news is that I have zero issues with it unlike some other people. The intake itself is a bit pricey but to each their own!

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the NNBS intake is plug and play with injector adapters and a plate adapter for your TB from fast or 3 other company's.

you will spend 60$ for all adapters, then it drops on with minor changes to hoses..
Its extremely simple. don't be fooled.

But be smart and do knock sensors while its off..

Don't waste your money on a FAST intake, its MAJOR overkill for even a mildly built 5.3 or 6.0.
sure it gains up top but the loses down low are not worth it.
That and its 1k or more to get it on.

NNBS intake with everything you need including knock sensors is just at 500 or less and gains power from idle to 6k+.
Do some shopping in the used section of various forums and you will get a 10 NNBS intake with flex fuel injectors for aprox 200 shipped.
The FF injectors are a major win as just headers and that intake will max out non FF injectors with a good tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so this is what I've ordered so far, I expect some criticism from you guys, and don't hold back, I can take it...

*NGK Iridium plugs and 10.2mm spiral core wires (my denali has original plugs/wires) whoopie I know..

*08 6.0l intake w/cathedral ports, fuel rail & FF injectors (new gaskets)

*OBX Long tube headers (true dual) w/hi flow cats

*Corvette tranny servo (already installed)

*Diablo Sport InTuneTuner (will be upgrading eventually, but want to start with this one)

*Comp Cams XFI XE-R Hydraulic roller Cam kit for RPM range 2000-7000 which includes:
*.224"/.230" Duration - .581"/.588 Lift - LSA 114°
*Hydraulic roller Cam
*Hydraulic roller lifters
*Hi-Tech 7.400" pushrods
*HP GM LS series valve springs & seals
*Spring seats -steel retainers
*LS-X Double key way timing set

Heads: I am trying to figure out if I should go with 243 or 799 heads, the 799's are a bit cheaper, and as mentioned earlier the only difference is the casting. I'm also thinking of having them ported & polished while I'm at it, and if I can find them at a decent price.

Tranny: A local company here called "just chevy trucks" is claiming the rebuilt 4l60e's they have for sale will hold up to quite a bit of hp/tq, and also offer a 4l60e "race tranny for $1500 that comes with a warranty. He looked at me sideways when I asked him about putting a 4l80e in my Denali, and claims the 4l60e will handle what I want to do, including if I decide to do a turbo down the road. I was all ready to convert my AWD 4l60e into a 2wd but after searching high and low for a 2wd rear driveshaft and coming up completely empty, I may have to change to a 4wd version. I would really like to do a 4l80e swap, and the guy i spoke with has them rebuilt for $1200, but he said the conversion is a nightmare, and I'd be asking for trouble in doing it. It seems everyone I speak to has a different opinion. Maybe I'll just wait to smoke this tranny before I figure out what to do, I'm already looking for a seperate daily driver because I know I'm going to need it, and my harley is no fun in the rain. :)

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what you need for the conversion.

Cooler lines or extend yours a couple inchs with rubber.
fill tube and dipstick
Cross member from here <---- Click Currently 2wd only, he is building 4x4.
Or cut your cross member and extend the center section back a few inchs.

Repin your electrical plug, or buy the conversion harness.
Do the segment swap via Tune.

For a 2wd conversion. Everything is the same except, you would swap tail shaft housing and tail shaft from yours to a 2wd setup and buy a 2wd Tahoe driveshaft.

I will make links hot when i get home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is what you need for the conversion.

Cooler lines or extend yours a couple inchs with rubber.
fill tube and dipstick
Cross member from here <---- Click Currently 2wd only, he is building 4x4.
Or cut your cross member and extend the center section back a few inchs.

Repin your electrical plug, or buy the conversion harness.
Do the segment swap via Tune.

For a 2wd conversion. Everything is the same except, you would swap tail shaft housing and tail shaft from yours to a 2wd setup and buy a 2wd Tahoe driveshaft.

I will make links hot when i get home.

I can't for the life of me find a 2wd yukon/tahoe rear driveshaft for a 4l60, maybe I'll start looking for a 2wd rear driveshaft for a 4l80? I would much rather go with adapters rather than cut and splice, so links will help a lot! Thanks! I can'tbelieve you ddidn't give me any crap for the cam choice! Haha

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

This might be a Dumb question, but why can't I just change my slip yolk on my current driveshaft for a 2wd 4l80, or even a 2wd 4l60?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hit any Junk yard for the driveshaft.

Nah, bud. I not going to say anything about your cam choice. Its your ride, and your choice.
I will say this tho. with out a converter and at minimum a 3k. your ride will be a absolute dog off the bottom..
So get one! LOL

More links inbound as I dig them up.
Post above has been edited for one already.

OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front-page-news/14163-how-4l60e-4l80e-trans-swap.html

I just read all 14 pages of this^, and it sounds like a pretty damn complicated swap, with a lot of things that can and do go wrong. Flywheel swap with spacer, possibly even may need to swap my rear end guts? .....I'm pretty apprehensive to say the least....And I definitely plan on having a 2800-3000 stall in the tranny without a doubt.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

I think I want to get the tranny squared away before I even start installing anything. I may even look for a 2500 2wd (that has a 6.0 and a 4l80 already installed) relatively cheap so I don't have to ruin my denali in the process. This is taking too much planning! It will be winter when I finally turn the key for the first time!

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

The cross member fab doesn't concern me, or the wiring adapter, it's all the other chit that keeps popping up!

OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can NOT find a rear driveshaft for a yukon xl 1500 2wd ANY WHERE. Does anyone know if the xl 1500's even came in 2wd?? Why can't I use my current driveshaft and swap out the slip.yokes that go into the tranny? This is driving me NUTZ!!!!!

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
That's a pretty damn healthy cam!

What he said, get an appropriate converter. You can call Yank, tell them your setup and they can recommend one. You'll hate the truck if you don't!

The Trailblazer converter is a good cheap option but I fear it isn't large enough for what you are doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gradymossx4

Latest posts