2005 Tahoe Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saying "you" haul around fat chicks without actually saying "you" haul around fat chicks.

CHUBBY CHASER!
I never mentioned anyone's Mother in-law, but for some (not me) that thought might have crossed a mind or two in trying to calculate remaining weight capacity scenarios in their heads...

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Tahoe? I don't think GM put a transmission temp gauge in any of them but could be wrong. I swapped out my cluster with one that has trans temp. SUPER helpful.

FYI ~ On fluid, others may not agree with me... However, I don't change it out that frequently anymore. I used to do every 20,000 miles but felt was a waste in hindsight. Get a clean white paper towel, wipe dipstick on it, fluid should be pink / red on the dipstick. If not, then you should change the fluid. Otherwise, you can change the filter and reuse the fluid. It lasts MUCH longer than people realize, unless you run the transmission too hot.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your Tahoe? I don't think GM put a transmission temp gauge in any of them but could be wrong. I swapped out my cluster with one that has trans temp. SUPER helpful.

FYI ~ On fluid, others may not agree with me... However, I don't change it out that frequently anymore. I used to do every 20,000 miles but felt was a waste in hindsight. Get a clean white paper towel, wipe dipstick on it, fluid should be pink / red on the dipstick. If not, then you should change the fluid. Otherwise, you can change the filter and reuse the fluid. It lasts MUCH longer than people realize, unless you run the transmission too hot.
Yeah none of them came with the temp gauges, mine included lol. It's one upgrade I've actually considered, i just dont want to lose my odometer.

And my fluid has like 6k on it. Had a new trans put in last year when I came in possession of the truck. It burned the 3-4 clutch pack. Now I would've done the job myself but then I didnt know anything.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "losing your odometer" but there are several places nationwide that can add the tranny temp gauge to the cluster. Had it done on my '04's cluster by Digital Dash Solutions, but he doesn't do repairs any longer.

Cluster post_resized.jpg

You can also get a custom cluster from Digital Dash Solutions (https://www.fixmygauges.com/) and Carl would program your mileage into your new cluster. Believe he's in Putnam, CT.

A related company also does repair (US Dashworks https://usdashworks.com/) and I'm sure they would add the tranny gauge and retain the mileage in your cluster. There are other places around the country that can add the gauge; maybe some other members here could make recommendations.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spot on the circuit board is already on there for temp gauge. All that has to be added is the stepper motor soldered to the board, the needle, light bulb and the tranny temp mask. Then of course the tranny temp feature has to be turned on in the IC also.

Remember these Instrument Clusters are the same used in the Esky and Yukon Denali which had the temp gauge factory as part of their trim package and this why the tahoes and yukon non Denali models, Silverado and Sierras have the spot for the tranny gauge but GM being cheap (Like it would cost alot) didnt put it on all of them and I believe it should be on everythinng that has a tow package or the vehicle has the ability to have a tow package installed by the owner.
Check it Out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid