2005 Tahoe brake vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on our Tahoe's brakes giving a little vibration when braking, especially from speed? My wife just bought it from a dealership and it makes me think they didn't even check the brakes. It has 4 wheel disc, but it makes me think were gettin into some work! :wtf:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can't see a warp that would cause this. If they just pulled a wheel and looked then if pads looked ok they will check it as good. The warp is developed because of the normal heat that builds up when braking caused by the friction. The more it is used the more it will warp and pulse, especially when slowing from highway speed, like on an off ramp.

If you have the rotor machined it will be thinner and therefore warp easier again. Thinner means it will not dissipate heat as easily.

Buy 2 new front rotors, quality ones, and install after cleaning the surfaces with brake clean. Check the pads and scuff with sand paper and clean them with brake clean. Clean & lube with correct high temp lube where the caliper and pads slides.

Reinstall everything and then go for a short drive and seat in the pads to the rotors. If the pads are thin then replace them before reassembly. To seat them apply the brakes a little hard when slowing from about 35-40 mph but do not do a panic stop. Do that about 5-6 times and should be good. Rear rotors could be warped and adding to problem but since the front brakes do most of the braking then they are typically the culprits.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks RaiderRon. Do you have any got to parts sites? I will start looking around for quality rotors.

Fast LT1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i wouldn't use any other pads then the akebono brake pads. they supply the oe pads for the gm full size truck and suv line and they last forever and are can't be touched in the brake world.

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PNW had exactly the same symptoms. just fixed it today by replacing the front and back rotors and pads.

CLEAN THE caliper pin sleeves on the caliper bracket and put in new metal bracket thingy's for the pads.

lube it all up and should be golden.

lots of youtube videos. i wouldn't replace the accordian boots. just clean them up. they are serious, serious pita to put new ones in. once you have it figured out its allright but i would rather not have had to learn.

fwiw i just went to autovalue and got the mid grade.

don't forget to "seat" the pads onto the rotors. also called "bedding" the pads onto the rotors. google it. simple and worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709