2005 suburban smoke on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definitely try that tomorrow after work. Will be wirth the try. No side effects to that?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
There is a green cap on a vacuum line under the black plastic engine cover. Then a screw to remove hiding the stem with the green cap on it. Spray in that tube as well. Think it's the pcv. Then to the left side of the engine (drivers side) remove the black rubber hose at the back of the engine as well spray down that one. Helps clean the whole thing out. Helped mine run a little smoother

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
There is a green cap on a vacuum line under the black plastic engine cover. Then a screw to remove hiding the stem with the green cap on it. Spray in that tube as well. Think it's the pcv. Then to the left side of the engine (drivers side) remove the black rubber hose at the back of the engine as well spray down that one. Helps clean the whole thing out. Helped mine run a little smoother

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Well. Latest update. I did replace the driver's side valve cover that have the PCV valve built in with the new style and 1200 miles so far and no smoke on any start up so far. Will be checking oil later today and posting update on the consumption.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Very last update unless something changes. Ever since I changed the valve cover that have the PCV valve in and the smoke is gone and the oil burning is way less and I believe that it is within specs. So hopefully this can help someone else in the future. Thank you all

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
No, they do not need to be replaced right away. They will not get better and will get worse but it will be a little at a time, typically. The seals can be replaced with the heads still on the engine but for valve guides and seals I recommend the heads come off and go to the machine shop or get a pair of reman heads and bolt them on. Either job is tedious enough that you need a good mechanical background or a friend that is trained. Personally, I would never do just the seals unless you are selling the vehicle.

May I ask why? Mine is burning oil excessively, and plan to replace the valve seals this month.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very last update unless something changes. Ever since I changed the valve cover that have the PCV valve in and the smoke is gone and the oil burning is way less and I believe that it is within specs. So hopefully this can help someone else in the future. Thank you all
Thanks for the update. Looks like the fix was pretty simple. The updated valve cover has helped quite a few with oil consumption issues.

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
May I ask why? Mine is burning oil excessively, and plan to replace the valve seals this month.

I THINK he may be alluding to the best practice of cleaning and inspecting the valves and guides on the block side of the heads, and hand lapping the valve ports while the seals are out. His recommendation is a good one especially if there has been oil bypassing and you get a lot of smoke - youll probably see contamination around the ports/valve face that needs to be removed, and replacing the valves is good peace of mind IMO. All that must be done with the heads off, and if they are off its not a bad idea to go have them cleaned, tested, possibly a valve grind, resurface, and they can do the lapping for you at a machine shop. That causes significant downtime and repair cost increase though.

If you just hot swap the seals one valve may not be closing all the way and your fuel mix could be off, and if its really bad other internals could eventually be affected. Big job to fix a small complaint, i know.

PNW - if I missed the mark on that let us know

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
10-4, was just reading between the lines. I'm sure he'll come back and let us know if we didn't clear it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157