2005 suburban smoke on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May I ask why? Mine is burning oil excessively, and plan to replace the valve seals this month.
It’s not too bad of a job, just have to figure how you want to go about it. I use the TDC method. You can do 2 pistons (4 valves) at a time, then rotate the crank 90* and do 2 more, etc. A good spring compressor is important. There’s a pretty good write-up on LS1Howto , just scroll down to the valve spring section.
https://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
Pretty sure it’s because you said you wouldn’t do just the seals unless you were selling the vehicle, and he is planning on keeping his but replacing the seals.
Ask why what? I need context. I read my quote and it is pretty straight forward.

Yep, I'm curious as to why you would do only the seals if you were selling it rather than keeping. I have no intentions of selling my Tahoe, but was told by a good friend that runs a shop that replacing the valve seals would eliminate my oil burn. Mine does not always smoke on startup, but will at times. I've also noticed it doing on hills or if I am sitting at a stop light for a period of time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, now I understand the question. I ran shops and was used to customers wanting to put a band aid on rigs and then still wanted a warranty. My statement is something I stand by because if I am keeping a rig, I am going full bore and pull the heads and getting guides, seals and valve job as well as a head resurface. I know it is way more work and $ but I am by myself and have disposable income and would just go for it. I like to spend other people's money all day long. But I also like to recommend options as well.

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
Ok, now I understand the question. I ran shops and was used to customers wanting to put a band aid on rigs and then still wanted a warranty. My statement is something I stand by because if I am keeping a rig, I am going full bore and pull the heads and getting guides, seals and valve job as well as a head resurface. I know it is way more work and $ but I am by myself and have disposable income and would just go for it. I like to spend other people's money all day long. But I also like to recommend options as well.
Roger. So doing just valve seals isn’t necessarily bad, just not going to the extent you would if it were yours. Got it. Thanks for your help and insight!

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
It’s not too bad of a job, just have to figure how you want to go about it. I use the TDC method. You can do 2 pistons (4 valves) at a time, then rotate the crank 90* and do 2 more, etc. A good spring compressor is important. There’s a pretty good write-up on LS1Howto , just scroll down to the valve spring section.
https://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Question gentlemen: AC Delco or Felpro seal kit?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y8X6Y...colid=SQGSTSGPHV1Y&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2EE1...colid=SQGSTSGPHV1Y&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In most cases I choose AC Delco/GM seals but if not available, I can easily use Fel-Pro with no problem.