2005 suburban smoke on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 05 Suburban blows some smoke on startup when the truck is cold maybe for about 10 or 15 seconds then it stops. not losing any coolant , runs good just that smoke in the morning driving me crazy , I've done some research and most say replace the valve cover that have the PCV in it , not sure how accurate that is but any help or guide in the right direction will be very helpful . thank you all

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it? Are you losing any oil? What color smoke? Is it cold out in the morning when you start it? Is it every single startup or only when it sits for 6-8-10 hrs (cold start)? How long has it been doing it?
Cant just tell you to do a valve cover over the internet and that will fix it, could be no problem at all.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the smoke have an odor aside from exhaust. how long has it been doing it? are you sure its not just evaporated moisture being blown out. you generally will see a light whitish smokey haze early on the mornings as everything heats up. the engine will evaporate the moisture and the cool exhaust will cool it back down causing more of a fog than smoke. once the exhaust begins to warm up you will usually see it go away unless its particularly cold outside.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Especially with cooler weather/temps, on initial start up there will be condensation in the exhaust system that will create smoke on a cold start. Then goes away. Mine does it. Unless you are losing oil or coolant, I would not worry about it. Plus, like Pete and James said, more details are needed as well.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
The truck have 210k on it. And it does it only on a cold start not every time and no other smoke. Just a bluish smoke puff and done. And not losing coolant at all and no excessive oil burn at all either. Less than a quart between oil changes. Nothing bad at all.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is blue smoke then that is oil burn and likely has valve guide and seal problems, which would be kind of normal at 210k miles if all original. You can drive a long time with that going on. Do you see a puff of blue smoke when you kick it in to passing gear/accel hard? That is also a sign of the same problem. Initial cold start condensation burn off is white smoke.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I only see it at a start every once in a while that's all. Once I drive it no smoke at all

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts