2005 gmc denali amp lux and woofer .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post.. yes it's going from 2005 denali xl to 2006 gmc Yukon xl .. I was able to get all connectors cut out 8 inches long . So I can see how it was wired from. Council also . It's out of same rig so there both Yukon xls .. I sure I will need some extra speaker wires as it's bit head scratch . I need to get XM unit also does that unlock with radio ? Using tech 2 ? Witch speakers are the D-pillar ones in very back ?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
The XM module can just be plugged in, no need to unlock or anything. The radio should recognize it and it should show up in the sources.

Yes, the D-pillar speakers are the ones all the way in the back. GM calls them "twiddlers". Here are the pinouts from the GM service manual. Y91 is the LUX configuration, the one that's titled "w/o Y91" is your current non-LUX wiring. Don't plug the amp in until the wiring is changed, it will damage it.

upload_2020-10-6_14-29-11.png

upload_2020-10-6_14-30-10.png

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The XM module can just be plugged in, no need to unlock or anything. The radio should recognize it and it should show up in the sources.

Yes, the D-pillar speakers are the ones all the way in the back. GM calls them "twiddlers". Here are the pinouts from the GM service manual. Y91 is the LUX configuration, the one that's titled "w/o Y91" is your current non-LUX wiring. Don't plug the amp in until the wiring is changed, it will damage it.

View attachment 259388

View attachment 259389
Thanks .. I'm going to print it out ..[emoji106][emoji41]

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
I did this same swap years ago in a 2004 Tahoe. I had an entire Denali console to swap in. I did most of the wire relocation at the big wiring harness plug that feeds the entire console. It was easier to me than moving wires around at the amp. Also, I could just plug the tahoe console back in if necessary and nothing would have to be redone to make it stock. I had to add my own harness to get the CD changer to work. I also added the nav system. It did make a difference in sound quality going to the LUX amp.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this same swap years ago in a 2004 Tahoe. I had an entire Denali console to swap in. I did most of the wire relocation at the big wiring harness plug that feeds the entire console. It was easier to me than moving wires around at the amp. Also, I could just plug the tahoe console back in if necessary and nothing would have to be redone to make it stock. I had to add my own harness to get the CD changer to work. I also added the nav system. It did make a difference in sound quality going to the LUX amp.
So you moved wires around in the big console plug . I was thinking same thing I got the plug out of the donor Denali to see wire path was .. and try to compare to non lux Yukon xl..

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
I did move the wires around on the large plug from the Denali part of the console, leaving the original plug on the Tahoe side alone, just in case. The only real wires I needed to add were to get the CD changer going. I cannot exactly remember what I had to do to get all the cigarette outlets to work because I think the denali had a few more but I think I just spliced them to get them working.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did move the wires around on the large plug from the Denali part of the console, leaving the original plug on the Tahoe side alone, just in case. The only real wires I needed to add were to get the CD changer going. I cannot exactly remember what I had to do to get all the cigarette outlets to work because I think the denali had a few more but I think I just spliced them to get them working.
See that's great idea ..was there any wires from the head unit with LUX that needed to be added.. I have the same thing going on I have a non lux system that still works good now .

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non lux 2006 gmc yukon xl slt plus in dash ,cd 6 changer Bose speakers and non lux . Working totally awesome after I cleaned rusted ground on frame under driver. Now what happens when it's low on volts the amp doesn't kick in or why is it that sounds way better now ? Totally confused .

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non lux 2006 gmc yukon xl slt plus in dash ,cd 6 changer Bose speakers and non lux . Working totally awesome after I cleaned rusted ground on frame under driver. Now what happens when it's low on volts the amp doesn't kick in or why is it that sounds way better now ? Totally confused .

Bass requires quite quite a bit of current while the middle and tweeters require little so in the case of a bad ground the bass suffers more, since the ground carries the same amount of current as the power lead. It’s not necessarily voltage as much as current or total power. If that makes sense.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bass requires quite quite a bit of current while the middle and tweeters require little so in the case of a bad ground the bass suffers more, since the ground carries the same amount of current as the power lead. It’s not necessarily voltage as much as current or total power. If that makes sense.
Yes that ground must have alot to do with that amp because before I had all radio xm channels at about 2-3 steps to the +on bass
Now I set back to center as bass super thumping it's like center woofer and 2 front door speakers have some serious nice sounding bass now . So like your saying it must of not of been getting the 12 v amps it needed it's like new stereo now sounds great. If lux amp sounds better it must be super sweet.
It's strange how that ground made everything just work smoother on gauges everything is brighter . As it seems throttle response better also .. even though it needs a oxygen sensor..
My adapter scanner is saying 0-60mph 8.5 secs and 10.4 secs I did it 2 times .. at 55 mph it says 21-24.5 mpg with cruz on . Before it was about 19 mpg Did just fix parking brake it might of been dragging also .. Thanks for the reply .

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
See that's great idea ..was there any wires from the head unit with LUX that needed to be added.. I have the same thing going on I have a non lux system that still works good now .

No, there were no additional wires needed to make the radio work. All of that stayed exactly the same. The only additional wires I had to add were to get the CD changer hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse