2005 Denali No crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A friend of min has a 2005 Denali and a few days ago had a no crank no start situation. He asked me to help and I found that the battery was only holding 2.63vdc. I thought easy peasy a new battery later and we are good to go. He just called me today saying he has the same issue. I have yet to go check it out this time around. Anything I should look for? I have a feeling the alternator might be at fault.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Connections at battery and corrosion down the cable insulation. Check connections at starter. Check grounds thoroughly. Check for a draw and yes, could be alternator that is also causing draw.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check battery voltage. Also if you get it running, check what the alternator is putting out and make sure its charging the battery. If below 13v under load then I would suspect bad alternator.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shorted diodes in the alternator will run a battery down overnight. Alternator of course not charging at all could be a culprit. The most common problem of our chassis is the ground behind the engine on the firewall getting corroded or at the engine block rear also. The ground under drivers door on chassis just meeting where the firewall starts is also a culprit. The bad ground cause the BCM to do crazy whacked out things like not goto sleep after the last person out shuts the door. The BCM will kill a battery over night and eventually kill the battery for good with discharge/charge cycling. Silver migration on the instrument cluster can kill a battery over night also. Is the IC working properly?

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shorted diodes in the battery alternator will run a battery down overnight. Alternator of course not charging at all could be a culprit. The most common problem of our chassis is the ground behind the engine on the firewall getting corroded or at the engine block rear also. The ground under drivers door on chassis just meeting where the firewall starts is also a culprit. The bad ground cause the BCM to do crazy whacked out things like not goto sleep after the last person out shuts the door. The BCM will kill a battery over night and eventually kill the battery for good with discharge/charge cycling. Silver migration on the instrument cluster can kill a battery over night also. Is the IC working properly?

FYP, and agree.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dead battery always= check the alternator
at startup you should have 13.4v minimum (at the battery)

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took another look at it and it was indeed the Alternator. Jumped the truck and brought it up to 2000 rpm and Alt was only putting out 8.368vdc. Swapped out with a new unit and we are good to go.

Fasair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. 2004 Yukon XL Denali. May I ask what the BCM is please? Having this same issue. Thanks in advance.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. 2004 Yukon XL Denali. May I ask what the BCM is please? Having this same issue. Thanks in advance.
BCM is the module that controls your lights going out after you shut the last door (also lights coming on), power windows, locks and mirrors, your factory security system inputs to the BCM and depending on options other systems too. Its under dash along side steering column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19