2004 tahoe gauge problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billkrummel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post in advance
I have a 2004 tahoe I bought early last year that is now having trouble with the gauges. It's not the usual stepper motor issues (or at least I don't think so), the probelm started when I had a dead battery one morning and after jumping it off I had no dash lights, only the check engine light and blinkers worked. After driving a little and then leaving it I came back a few hours later and everything was fine. Fast forward a few weeks and this happens every time my battery dies. (I have been trying to figure that out to I have it narrowed down to the radio fuse) now the other night I have to jump it off and I have not had gauges since. I checked for power on the pins and I have good power ground and signal. All I have is what appears to be random lights on the odometer display I will try and attach a picture. I have also tried another cluster but it is of unknown condition.
Again sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_185025.jpg
    IMG_20220127_185025.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
B

Billkrummel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No the other did the same thing check engine light before starting and blinkers work, also the back lights work

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From the pic it looks like your DIC is messed up. Watch this video and see if you can relate:

I'd try a known good cluster first, but would also consider picking up a nice one from Carl: https://www.fixmygauges.com/. He comes highly recommended by several members on TYF.

OP
OP
B

Billkrummel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would the dic problems also cause all the other lights to stop working?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing I’d do is take care of the dead battery issue. As @ivin74 stated, these trucks hate low voltage situations and will get wonky because if it.

Even though your battery is only 8 months old, get your battery checked. Even new batteries fail and if it’s been drained a number of times, it can fail prematurely. If it checks fine, then start tracking down parasitic loads that are causing it to drain. Also might consider getting the alternator tested as well.

What do you mean you’ve narrowed it down to the radio fuse? A fuse isn’t going to cause a drain. A corroded fuse block might, or a parasitic draw further down on that circuit will, and once you pull the fuse, you’ve isolated the parasitic load so start looking there.

Get your battery to stay charged then get to work in the dash cluster. Otherwise, you may be chasing phantom issues.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you checking all the power feeds to the cluster? There are at least 5, depending on the circuit. Also several grounds.

1643382891900.png

Also, there are several common issues with parasitic draw in these, one being silver migration on the cluster circuit board. However, proper troubleshooting to determine IF you have a parasitic draw, and narrowing down the cause(s), should be in your plan. As @wjburken noted, get the battery tested and replaced, if necessary, as a first step.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Billkrummel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the battery tested, it's fine the draw is something on the radio fuse. I have tested b 12,11,and 9. I see a12 is a ground I will check when I'm home this evening that is all the power and grounds I see all the others are signals for gauges, I see a11 is for the dimmer would that cause this? I'm also picking up a new cluster today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins