2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes so if the main spring fails the inner spring will hold the valve up and stop bad things like we have had from happening. Cheap insurance that if I had had before all i would be doing right now it a single spring swap.
Also dual springs are required for cams with more than .550 lift otherwise the springs will bind. I didn’t see the lift on the cam you’re installing Dan but am I safe to assume it’s not .585 like Roger was suggesting if you bought one from him?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also dual springs are required for cams with more than .550 lift otherwise the springs will bind. I didn’t see the lift on the cam you’re installing Dan but am I safe to assume it’s not .585 like Roger was suggesting if you bought one from him?

The new cam is 224/228 .600/.600 113lsa. The extra bit of lift is kind of a waste since the heads wont flow much better with more than .585 like Roger said but ported or after market heads could always be in the future.

Good point about binding but so many companies suggest single springs even at .600lift

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um you already have 1 badass LS and another nice healthy LS (sorry 4.8s can't be badass without boost).
Yeah but I want to start with a bare ass block and go from there. I haven’t done that since I built an 800 hp Ford 460 for my jet boat back in the day and then added a Weiand 6-71 blower. It had Super Cobra Jet heads on it, ported, and all the best parts available. Even the casting # on the block was important in order to start with the best deck height to combine with the heads. That was fun. That BOAT was fun.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
See what I mean about Roger? The dude is full of knowledge on LS valvetrains and he loves to help. He sometimes would email me back on weekends within a half hour, even gave me his personal contact info so my calls and emails would go straight to him. You should let him know you’re going to use the cam you have now, and order one from him for your pickup in the future. Good to know that 224/228 looks like a good fit.
Sounds like I should pick his brain, and order my cam from him! You think he’d be ok with advising on heads as well? I really have no idea what heads & springs I want...

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I want to start with a bare ass block and go from there. I haven’t done that since I built an 800 hp Ford 460 for my jet boat back in the day and then added a blower. It had Super Cobra Jet heads on it, ported, and all the best parts available. Even the casting # on the block was important in order to start with the best deck height to combine with the heads. That was fun. That BOAT was fun.

You should find a 6.o or 6.2 and slowly start. With your documentation skills it would make a sweet thread! Then you could donate the motor to me :D

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new cam is 224/228 .600/.600 113lsa. The extra bit of lift is kind of a waste since the heads wont flow much better with more than .585 like Roger said but ported or after market heads could always be in the future.

Good point about binding but so many companies suggest single springs even at .600lift
Yeah I said over .550, at least that’s what my buddy Roger Vinci taught me. And you meant DUAL springs, right? o_O

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I should pick his brain, and order my cam from him! You think he’d be ok with advising on heads as well? I really have no idea what heads & springs I want...
I’m sure he would love to chime in on heads. You should have seen our conversations on shit like torque converters, headers, rockers, superchargers.....I asked him all kinds of shit. Dude is smart as hell and he explains it all effortlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaptainkhaos58