2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep can't complain a bit, Its seen and played in temps ranging from -30* to 108* and possibly more. Hopefully I get another 10 years out of the new one! I'm really anxious to see if the new one hits harder.

I actually just gave away the original JX250 amp i originally bought with the dead 12".

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep can't complain a bit, Its seen and played in temps ranging from -30* to 108* and possibly more. Hopefully I get another 10 years out of the new one! I'm really anxious to see if the new one hits harder.

I actually just gave away the original JX250 amp i originally bought with the dead 12".

What amp are you using now?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I never could bring myself to fork over the money for a JL amp. My Saturn (commuter/got me through college) has a Kenwood Excelon X500-1 and an X301-4 and the Tahoe has the 5 channel version. It is an X801-5.

It was painful and one of the main reasons I only got 1 "do it all amp" instead of 2 dedicated amps. Totally worth it though! That old and now deceased 12W3 felt like a new beast with the JL RD power. I had it on the JX250 for a few years then multiple other craigslist amps promising more power but never seemed to be much better and usually overheated after an hour or so of playing. Then finally got a JD500 for a few years and that went to a Slim W3 in my Silverado so it was time.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy said to play it at about half volume for an hour or so.

Quick Google search says half volume for 2 weeks and never exceed half. Well I already broke that rule so oh well. The first song I put on it seemed really weak and then after the trip to Home Depot and back at half volume it seemed stronger. So maybe I didn't do it the proper way but it seems as good or better than the last one which i know I never "broke in".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wanna gradually stretch the surround and spider, but mainly the surround. It's rubber that has been in one position since being made. Ever got a new rubber band out the bag and immediately stretched it too far, too fast and it snapped? So you grab another and stretch it a little at a time and you can feel it limber up. After that, it stretches to that length much more easily. Same effect with the sub's surround. Hot weather helps the break-in go much quicker.

When I break in a new sub, I leave it in my shop, either free-air or in an oversized vented box if available, and play test tones on repeat from an Autosound 2000 disc I copied to my shop PC. I start at nearly mid-bass notes and gradually drop the frequencies, playing each one for about five minutes until I get into the lower bass frequencies, then I play them a little longer.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wanna gradually stretch the surround and spider, but mainly the surround. It's rubber that has been in one position since being made. Ever got a new rubber band out the bag and immediately stretched it too far, too fast and it snapped? So you grab another and stretch it a little at a time and you can feel it limber up. After that, it stretches to that length much more easily. Same effect with the sub's surround. Hot weather helps the break-in go much quicker.

When I break in a new sub, I leave it in my shop, either free-air or in an oversized vented box if available, and play test tones on repeat from an Autosound 2000 disc I copied to my shop PC. I start at nearly mid-bass notes and gradually drop the frequencies, playing each one for about five minutes until I get into the lower bass frequencies, then I play them a little longer.
Geek. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts