2003 Tahoe with mcgaughys drop, rear sits higher than front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect I’ll look for part#.

Whats the best 5” coil for rear? May as well upgrade since these are t giving me the full drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've long forgotten all the brand and part numbers from when I was researching all of this. I wanna say the Belltech TBSS coils are the go-to ones and the number "5305" comes to mind. I think the way it works is they are actually for a 3" or 4" drop on the TBSS but give around a 5" drop on the fullsize SUVs from the extra weight. Because the spring is essentially "overloaded", it tends to be too soft for some drivers. This is where the Airlift load bags come in. This may be old news and the better go-to for such a drop may be a DJM spring. Like I said, it's been a while. Tony (@NORCAL SS) might be able to give you definitive info if you don't find it otherwise. I swear, with as much as this subject has been around and around, one would think that Googling for the latest and greatest info would be easier.

If you're not in a hurry, I have some mystery coils I've been meaning to swap in to see how much drop they'd yield. Comparing overall dimensions and wire diameter to my Tahoe's stock coils and some alleged 3" McG coils, they look like they'd drop more than 3" and may be a great option for a 4" or 5" drop. I think I know what vehicle they came from and I'll confirm once I know it's even worth pursuing after testing them.

Tonight is girl's night at the house so I'll be hiding out in the shop. I'm itching to make SOME sort of change to the Tahoe and putting it back to stock height (to get baseline measurements before I lower it) may be that change.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Belltech rear coils for sale that will give you a 4 inch drop in the rear. $150 shipped OBO

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've long forgotten all the brand and part numbers from when I was researching all of this. I wanna say the Belltech TBSS coils are the go-to ones and the number "5305" comes to mind. I think the way it works is they are actually for a 3" or 4" drop on the TBSS but give around a 5" drop on the fullsize SUVs from the extra weight. Because the spring is essentially "overloaded", it tends to be too soft for some drivers. This is where the Airlift load bags come in. This may be old news and the better go-to for such a drop may be a DJM spring. Like I said, it's been a while. Tony (@NORCAL SS) might be able to give you definitive info if you don't find it otherwise. I swear, with as much as this subject has been around and around, one would think that Googling for the latest and greatest info would be easier.

If you're not in a hurry, I have some mystery coils I've been meaning to swap in to see how much drop they'd yield. Comparing overall dimensions and wire diameter to my Tahoe's stock coils and some alleged 3" McG coils, they look like they'd drop more than 3" and may be a great option for a 4" or 5" drop. I think I know what vehicle they came from and I'll confirm once I know it's even worth pursuing after testing them.

Tonight is girl's night at the house so I'll be hiding out in the shop. I'm itching to make SOME sort of change to the Tahoe and putting it back to stock height (to get baseline measurements before I lower it) may be that change.

I’m in no rush at all, let me know!! I googled but they were all old threads unfortunately.

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So instead of lowering rear to level can I replace my mcgaughts lowering keys with factory and realign? Then I’d just be running spindles up front.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So instead of lowering rear to level can I replace my mcgaughts lowering keys with factory and realign? Then I’d just be running spindles up front.

You could if sitting level is more important to you than being low(er).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE