2003 Suburban with a ton of miles... CHEAP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a bonus! The wife is already wanting me to trade the suburban for her escalade after I get it fixed up. Easier to put 3 kids in the first row of seats vs her current setup with the split seats in the escalade and then having to put the 3rd kid in the 3rd row seat.

Like in the movie "Apocalypse Now" when Marlon Brando said, "The horror, the horror", you may have to suffer and take the 04 Escalade. Plus, you may be pissing off the sister too. To make them happy you may have to find another Burb that needs work. Now the money spending begins.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic and I had a chance to put it on a lift and do a visual. Needs a pitman arm on the driver side, the brakes need to be done and the valve cover gaskets are leaking. All stuff I knew except the pitman arm, so not a big deal. There is also a exhaust manifold stud broke off on the passenger side. Doesn't appear to be leaking, but I will keep an eye on that.

We pressurized the coolant system to check for leaks and it held pressure and we couldn't detect any leaks. There did seem to be a very small pool of coolant by the passenger side front head. Possibly a head gasket issue?

I plan to drop it off tomorrow so he can do the work, pressure wash the engine bay and then I will continue to keep an eye on that passenger head to see if the leak continues. If so he said he would do the head gaskets as well. Also going to have them do a full fluid replacement on diff's, transmission and engine oil.

Scanner showed no codes, the only issue is I get a "service brake booster" on my cluster. Brakes seem to work "ok", maybe a little soft. I swear I hear a motor run from time to time and maybe a little vibration in the pedal during this time. Is there something the brake booster does to health check? No visual leaks when we did the once over.

I have bought vehicles for much more cash with much more problems. The original owners seemed to do a great job on regular maintenance. So far so good!

The shifting issue now that I have had some seat time seems to be a shift flare during shifts. Seems to hold gears fine after the shift flaring.

Anyone have any ideas on the brake booster?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
On my 03 Yukon XL, the brake booster had nothing to do with the health check. I would also get the same feeling as you in the brake pedal. Mine was the ABS system. Once I bled the brakes all around, replacing ALL the fluid with new, it stopped and the brakes were less mushy. My brakes were never great. my wife hated driving the Yukon because she felt she had to stand on the brakes to get the beast to slow down. She did that maneuver the first time she drove the 2017 we now own and about threw us through the front windshield! Big difference in braking between the two.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I drop the rig off tomorrow morning, hopefully have it all done by Friday evening. Should know by then if servicing the brakes fixed the brake booster issue.

Yeah the wifes 04 escalade's brakes seem MUCH better. My F250 will throw you through the front window as well. :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great find, hoping for the best with the coolant leak.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, came across this...

This seems well money spent if I am going to do a brake job anyhow. Anyone done this?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, came across this...

This seems well money spent if I am going to do a brake job anyhow. Anyone done this?
I’ve read through most of the big thread on this topic in the NBS section. There’s a lot of back and forth but from my gathering it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade! I plan to do it to my 2006 the next time I need to do a brake job which will be a bit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, came across this...

I didn’t watch the video but Im assuming it’s the GMT900 front brakes on the GMT800 trucks. It’s a great upgrade and if you combine it with braided stainless steel lines instead of the rubber ones it’s even better. I did the upgrade but later went with Wilwoods.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. My mechanic buddy already did the brakes, so I guess next time around I will do the brake upgrade. Good to know it can be done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71