2003 Suburban with a ton of miles... CHEAP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a 2003 4x4 Suburban that's in good shape. Original owner, 350k miles! The wifes 04 escalade has been awesome so far and I was looking at getting this to fix up and possibly replace my truck and or give to my little sister as she wants an SUV for her dog.

Owner said the coolant reservoir has a crack and needs fixing/replaced. Transmission just started slipping when she goes up a steep grade. (She lives on the mountain side by my house and she doesn't want to risk running it anymore.)

Other than that she says the engine runs great and everything else works as it should. She bought it with unlimited oil changes new from the dealership and she said she has been diligent on the oil changes and has got her money out of it.

Owner is wanting $1500.

I plan to look at it tonight, check the transmission dipstick and smell the fluid and give the rig a once over...

I know a transmission rebuild or swap will be necessary eventually.

I planned on buying it and parking it this winter, pull the trans and rebuild it over the winter if I buy it. I have built a few engines, replaced clutches and fixed diffs and stuff. This will be my first transmission rebuild. Looks like I can find a rebuild kit for anywhere from $200-$500...

So $2200 or so all in if its as good as shape as she says and I do the work...

Thoughts?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, how can you go wrong at that price. Plus, either you or your sister will be happy in the end. The dog will give you an extra face lick, too. I would do it. I don't think you need opinions on this though because you have already talked yourself in to it. Would be a great Alaska rig.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, figured I would look it over first. Could be intake gasket leak, head gaskets etc... Won't know without looking at it. Sounded like the overflow gets low and she just fills it back up. Figure if it's lasted that many miles its more than likely to keep going for a while...

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant lost is probably one of the two plastic tee fittings for the heat hoses at the firewall behind and directly above engine. Also could be one of the heater hose that plugs into the tee. Those hose plug is plastic on the end and cracks. Could also be just worn out water pump. Does it have the 5.3 or 6.0? OH and....BUY IT!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard/expensive/available are parts in AK if it needs more? At 350k she may have a folder of records too. Oh.......buy it now before the other neighbor does.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it! Drove pretty good for her age/miles. The tranmission is on its way out for sure (hopefully its just a valvebody issue). The notorious 2/3 shift flare where it high revs and then eventually will catch again after letting off the throttle. The 4wd electronic motor was making a whining noise but did engage 4wd. The passenger valve cover seemed to be leaking. No burned smells on the oil or transmission fluid. Both looked to be good and clean. It does have a ding in the rear but the owner did have a huge folder with maintenance records. Looks like normal upkeep was done. There is a check engine light on. My mechanic wants me to bring it in tomorrow to have a look and let me know what else I couldn't see during my visual inspection.

Bunch of small interior stuff, typical chevy buttons rubbed clean off on the radio and the other plastic dash button lights not working around the HVAC controls etc. The passenger window wont roll down, the rear defrost clip on the driver side is no longer attached...

Has some pitting/rust up front... Nothing my HVLP gun can't take care of come summer time.

Here is a picture.

Suburban.jpg
View attachment 233854

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I bought it! Drove pretty good for her age/miles. The tranmission is on its way out for sure (hopefully its just a valvebody issue). The notorious 2/3 shift flare where it high revs and then eventually will catch again after letting off the throttle. The 4wd electronic motor was making a whining noise but did engage 4wd. The passenger valve cover seemed to be leaking. No burned smells on the oil or transmission fluid. Both looked to be good and clean. It does have a ding in the rear but the owner did have a huge folder with maintenance records. Looks like normal upkeep was done. There is a check engine light on. My mechanic wants me to bring it in tomorrow to have a look and let me know what else I couldn't see during my visual inspection.

Bunch of small interior stuff, typical chevy buttons rubbed clean off on the radio and the other plastic dash button lights not working around the HVAC controls etc. The passenger window wont roll down, the rear defrost clip on the driver side is no longer attached...

Has some pitting/rust up front... Nothing my HVLP gun can't take care of come summer time.

Here is a picture.

View attachment 233852
View attachment 233854

Didn't know it was a Z71. Awesome!

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a bonus! The wife is already wanting me to trade the suburban for her escalade after I get it fixed up. Easier to put 3 kids in the first row of seats vs her current setup with the split seats in the escalade and then having to put the 3rd kid in the 3rd row seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE