2002 Tahoe..Help with rotational whirring.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorred

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

02 Tahoe 5.3L vortec
195K miles

Heres the video of me driving around the block. the sound is most obvious at 30mph or below. Just had front diff and axle arm assemblies replaced. Front hub assemblies replaced a year ago. New tires put on a year ago, noise didnt change. I have not had a tire balance done. The mechanic is telling me he thinks i need a new transfer case, but it sounds like a wheel bearing to me...? Would think that would be the first thing they would have checked also though.
What do you guys think?

Thank you for checking it out. I dont have thousands of dollars to throw it a noise, and I have 2 very young kids I have to drive around. I depend on this car.

Autumn

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

02 Tahoe 5.3L vortec
195K miles

Heres the video of me driving around the block. the sound is most obvious at 30mph or below. Just had front diff and axle arm assemblies replaced. Front hub assemblies replaced a year ago. New tires put on a year ago, noise didnt change. I have not had a tire balance done. The mechanic is telling me he thinks i need a new transfer case, but it sounds like a wheel bearing to me...? Would think that would be the first thing they would have checked also though.
What do you guys think?

Thank you for checking it out. I dont have thousands of dollars to throw it a noise, and I have 2 very young kids I have to drive around. I depend on this car.

Autumn

Welcome to the forum from Iowa Autumn.

In your video, you only turned right. Does the sound get worse or better when you turn left vs right? My guess is you have a bad wheel bearing. If it is louder when you turn right, it’s likely your drivers side front wheel bearing. If it is louder when you turn left, it is likely your passenger side wheel bearing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I agree with Wade. That noise sounds like a wheel bearing or maybe, just maybe, a cv joint. Qualified tech inspection is needed before it leaves you stranded.

OP
OP
R

raptorred

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa Autumn.

In your video, you only turned right. Does the sound get worse or better when you turn left vs right? My guess is you have a bad wheel bearing. If it is louder when you turn right, it’s likely your drivers side front wheel bearing. If it is louder when you turn left, it is likely your passenger side wheel bearing.

Hi, Yes i guess I do only show right turns, but the noise doesnt change whether I turn left or right. I even tried some back and forth to see if I could hear a change in the noise, but I was hard pressed to find a change in the sound doing that.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
Autumn

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you probably don't want to hear bad news but it sounds like a differential to me.
have a someone chock the front wheels, jack up the rear so it is off the ground, start it up and put it in gear and just let it idle, listen for the noise (this will rule in/out a front wheel hub and confirm if it is the rear diff/pinion, etc)

OP
OP
R

raptorred

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know you probably don't want to hear bad news but it sounds like a differential to me.
have a someone chock the front wheels, jack up the rear so it is off the ground, start it up and put it in gear and just let it idle, listen for the noise (this will rule in/out a front wheel hub and confirm if it is the rear diff/pinion, etc)

The front differential was just replaced and the sound didnt change, but I had all my friends telling me they thought it was comming from the rear. The mechanic I took it to has a very good reputation, its a qualified shop, so I would think they would have done all of that, but when they told me it was the transfer case (possibly), I watched quite a few videos of what that sounds like and it doesnt sound like that at all. But I'm no mechanic.
I thank you for your input. :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front differential was just replaced and the sound didnt change, but I had all my friends telling me they thought it was comming from the rear. The mechanic I took it to has a very good reputation, its a qualified shop, so I would think they would have done all of that, but when they told me it was the transfer case (possibly), I watched quite a few videos of what that sounds like and it doesnt sound like that at all. But I'm no mechanic.
I thank you for your input. :)
it could be the transfer case also but you could rule that out by dropping the driveline or listening with a stethoscope type device, generally the transfer cases are pretty tough in these trucks and the rear diff is the weaker link.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's speed-dependent; maybe a driveshaft u-joint? Looks like it has 4wd so there are front and rear propshafts, 4 u-joints total.

If you can drive on wet or gravel roads, does having it in 4HI make any difference in the noise?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's speed-dependent; maybe a driveshaft u-joint? Looks like it has 4wd so there are front and rear propshafts, 4 u-joints total.

If you can drive on wet or gravel roads, does having it in 4HI make any difference in the noise?
that's what makes me suspect the pinion bearing, u-joints could be worn but I have never heard them make noise like that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
that's what makes me suspect the pinion bearing, u-joints could be worn but I have never heard them make noise like that.

I've had them squeak when one of the u-joint bearings was dry. This sounds similar to me, just lower in pitch.

EDIT: I attribute the lower pitch to the manliness of the Tahoe vs. the '64 Ford Falcon with squeaky u-joints.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA