2002 monte carlo 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im already on a gm based forum felt like tossing up a question instead of joining 2 or other forums and posting the same. so i might be going to look at a 2002 monte carlo with the 3.4 so its a not an ss. pictures listed its in beautiful shape with ss parts for flare and only has 100k on it. im pretty familiar with these cars myself but if anyone else has had problems i shoukd be on the lookout for.
things im already aware of on these cars
wheel bearings
fuel pressure regulator
transmission pressure switch
door pins
outside of that the 3 that have circled my life haven't had any other problems that dont involve basic maintenance.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like you know these cars really well already so you sound like you pretty much already know what to look for so I'd just inspect it really closely to make sure it's been maintained well throughout it's life. I'd plan on replacing spark plugs and wires unless there's proof or evidence that it's been done recently. I'd also just plan on doing brakes, shocks and give a close inspection of any other steering/suspension pieces while you're in there. Things like ball joints, tie rods, end links and things like that often times get over looked but are a pretty straightforward fix.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya pictures dont do anything justice anymore and ive never met the seller yet so ya. he says he has records of work he has had done and he swapped the ss stuff and some other stuff. he has pictures of it sitting in a car show line up if the pictures are legitimate. but ya my dad has had 2 of them one ls and one ss na version and a friend had a silver one.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im already on a gm based forum felt like tossing up a question instead of joining 2 or other forums and posting the same. so i might be going to look at a 2002 monte carlo with the 3.4 so its a not an ss. pictures listed its in beautiful shape with ss parts for flare and only has 100k on it. im pretty familiar with these cars myself but if anyone else has had problems i shoukd be on the lookout for.
things im already aware of on these cars
wheel bearings
fuel pressure regulator
transmission pressure switch
door pins
outside of that the 3 that have circled my life haven't had any other problems that dont involve basic maintenance.

Many of these earlier 3400 had loose intake manifold bolts and after a few years got coolant into the oil. The replacement gaskets were also inferior until around 2003. This happened to our 1999 but the 2004 has been fine; both Pontiac Montanas. Good motor though I preferred the torque and design of the Buick V6.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya upper seals is on the future list of to do if i actually buy the car. i was mainly looking for something cheaper still looks nice and rides nice and is dependable. mpg is on the list but not so high i cant get something the size of the monte carlo. power is only on the list to the point if i mash the gas it needs to get out of its own way.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya upper seals is on the future list of to do if i actually buy the car. i was mainly looking for something cheaper still looks nice and rides nice and is dependable. mpg is on the list but not so high i cant get something the size of the monte carlo. power is only on the list to the point if i mash the gas it needs to get out of its own way.

Good car as long as the engine and trans are in good shape. My uncle had a Monte Carlo, well, he had a lot of them, but his last was the kind you're looking for and it ran good for him for many years.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well suprise suprise seller doesn't mention everything wrong with a car or takes pictures that dont show the real issues. probably wont be buying that one. my buddy at work sent one he is aware of my way tho. ss/sc dale jr version little bit more mileage but less rusty. same price.