2002 2wd Tahoe rear springs upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

Reaction score
I am needing to upgrade my rear springs to something a bit heavier because with the way I am currently loaded it is touching the bump stops.
I looked on rock Auto and it looks like I could upgrade to moog or ac delco z71 springs (i think they would just bolt in) or husky springs or dayton Cargo max HD that claim 35% more load capacity.
Do youall have any opinions on what would be the heaviest and best bang for the buck? The dayton's are the most expensive.
Is there some other way to do this that I don't know about?

talking about Chevy's using Tapatalk

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am needing to upgrade my rear springs to something a bit heavier because with the way I am currently loaded it is touching the bump stops.
I looked on rock Auto and it looks like I could upgrade to moog or ac delco z71 springs (i think they would just bolt in) or husky springs or dayton Cargo max HD that claim 35% more load capacity.
Do youall have any opinions on what would be the heaviest and best bang for the buck? The dayton's are the most expensive.

Don't know if 2wd same as 4 wd but . You want the moog consistent springs for towing . Variable springs I think were for those fancy $400 shocks it depends actually what your Tahoe has for a rear shocks and springs I think it's g65 it had the $400 shocks and the real wimpy coils springs.
Might be g69 . Look in to it .. It's head scratcher I have 2002 suburban LT I was going to try the moog because GM doesn't have the consistent springs in RockAuto. Those in there are all variable. YKK is same as moog springs . Now you only want this one if you're towing and have the towing package. You need to look at your RPO codes and see exactly what it came with and then that'll tell you what you should replace them with because the two wheel drive is probably different than the four wheel drive. at least I gave you a little insight what you're dealing with. [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Z71 springs are the HD springs for the ZW7 suspension without leveling shocks. Those Dayton springs are probably what would want. I used to sell their leaf springs and never had an unhappy customer.

OP
OP
R

R422b

Reaction score
Don't know if 2wd same as 4 wd but . You want the moog consistent springs for towing . Variable springs I think were for those fancy $400 shocks it depends actually what your Tahoe has for a rear shocks and springs I think it's g65 it had the $400 shocks and the real wimpy coils springs.
Might be g69 . Look in to it .. It's head scratcher I have 2002 suburban LT I was going to try the moog because GM doesn't have the consistent springs in RockAuto. Those in there are all variable. YKK is same as moog springs . Now you only want this one if you're towing and have the towing package. You need to look at your RPO codes and see exactly what it came with and then that'll tell you what you should replace them with because the two wheel drive is probably different than the four wheel drive. at least I gave you a little insight what you're dealing with. [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Mine has standard shocks and springs. No air ride or anything.
It didn't have a true towing package because it didn't have the auxiliary transmission cooler but I upgraded to the factory auxiliary cooler and had the 4l60e built by bowtie overdrives in california.

OP
OP
R

R422b

Reaction score
The Z71 springs are the HD springs for the ZW7 suspension without leveling shocks. Those Dayton springs are probably what would want. I used to sell their leaf springs and never had an unhappy customer.
That is what I thought. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

R422b

Reaction score
It rides surprisingly well. I centered the load this time instead of putting it all in the back and although I think I'm basically sitting on bump stops it's not as bad as it used to be because the bump stops aren't fully compressed. [emoji1787]

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I 2nd the Air Lift 1000 helper bags. Pump them up when you're going to tow and good to go.

OP
OP
R

R422b

Reaction score
I just got weighed this morning and my truck weighed 6140 lb so with me in it I can add another 200 lb before I'm over the 6500 lb weight limit. [emoji16] It's all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie