2001 Yukon Screeching Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamordnt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The brakes on my '01 Yukon start screeching/squeeling after about 3-5 minutes of driving. It only happens after the car has warmed up and only occurs when I am braking. It is happening on more than one brake as noise is coming from both sides of the vehicle.

I recently pulled all 4 tires off, took apart the brakes and cleaned them with brake cleaner and removed all the dust and dirt. I inspected the pads and they have a little over 3/8 of an inch left before the metal backing.

I am wondering if my rotors are warping when they heat up (not sure if that is possible). If so, would resurfacing the rotors do the trick or should I just pony up for 4 new rotors? Or am I way off and this could be the cause of something else?

The noise is driving me nuts and the wife is about to kill me if I don't fix it. Thanks for suggestions in advance!!!

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Caliper bracket and guide pin....after awhile they get sticky and caliper get stuck.;)

gtoguru

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear brakes on my 2k Yukon were squeeling a little so I decided to change the rotors and pads. now its squeeling worse than before. guy I work with said maybe the caliper brackets were warped so I just changed those and used a different anti-squeeling lube on the back of the pads. its still squeeling. only thing I haven't changed is the calipers. I got the 2 piston calipers. could they be bad? when I had them off for brake rotor/pad/bracket replacement the pistons seemed to move easily back into the caliper. anyone else having these problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen