2001 Transmission Temp Cluster from HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is probably on the forum already. I did a search but didn't see it. Context, I bought an instrument cluster from 2002 HD Work Truck. I put it in my 2001 Tahoe to check it powers on and works. It does with a couple issues. I also am curious about calibration / best method to pull over my old mileage etc.

WHY DOES OIL PRESSURE TWITCH: The oil pressure twitches? Is that a bad stepper motor? Assuming so.

WHY IS THE CLUSTER MEASURING TOO HIGH OF VOLTAGE: Bad gauge motor? I'd almost assume so, as seems a bit odd the HD trucks would calculate voltage differently?

HOW DO I VALIDATE TRANS TEMP: I'd like to make sure the cluster is reading out the correct transmission temperature. However, I cannot seem to pull transmission temperature from my code reader? Where can I find the transmission temperature?

WHAT IS BEST WAY TO SWITCH CALIBRATION: I watched some youtubes and saw there is a tiny memory chip that needs swapped between the clusters. I'm curious if I can just swap the entire board that chip is on? Another guy just swapped the boards (I think all GM clusters from that era had same pinout / board). However, I'm not sure if software is on that board to run the transmission temperature? Also if there is a calibration for the voltage?

I made a video of my test run here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19izVxPKd0Iao7R5WajEFXMdxR4ajeWYl/view?usp=sharing

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure about other OBD tools, but a Tech 2 (or probably an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth) would show the tranny sensor temp.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about other OBD tools, but a Tech 2 (or probably an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth) would show the tranny sensor temp.

I had wondered, I'm sure the computer has the data. I have a cheapo $20 blutooth OBDII adapter. Then a app on my phone. I'd think the adapter wouldn't be issue. I'll have to checkout that OBDLink MX+. As often as I do this stuff I should have a professional setup.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting my notes here. When at the junkyard I cut the part of the harness going into the instrument cluster and kept it (years ago foreseeing this project). I am going to build a harness to power the clusters with my DC power supply so I can diagnose a bit as I rebuild them.

I don't happen to have anything send OBDII data stream the clusters to validate that side :( Assuming that'd be super expensive.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note to self, don't try to switch the memory chips on the daughter boards. I now have two non functional instrument clusters. I'll have to buy a 3rd now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a speedo repair shop can probably do it otherwise your going to need a lesson on eprom flashing and the tool and software to extract the data from one eprom and migrating it to another.
I am not sure what software or tools the repair shops use but there must be a database software that will load the eprom based on the vehicle vin code all that kind of stuff cost money but people do it for a living and the tools of the trade are needed, for a single use project you are probably better off having a shop do the programming portion of it anyway the tech2 will only setup a new cluster but it is useful for doing a cluster sweep to check operation. you could buy a vcxnano (about $100) and run tech2win on a tablet, laptop or pc and get the same results.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a speedo repair shop can probably do it otherwise your going to need a lesson on eprom flashing and the tool and software to extract the data from one eprom and migrating it to another.
I am not sure what software or tools the repair shops use but there must be a database software that will load the eprom based on the vehicle vin code all that kind of stuff cost money but people do it for a living and the tools of the trade are needed, for a single use project you are probably better off having a shop do the programming portion of it anyway the tech2 will only setup a new cluster but it is useful for doing a cluster sweep to check operation. you could buy a vcxnano (about $100) and run tech2win on a tablet, laptop or pc and get the same results.
I ended up ordering a second cluster where the program it for me. Turns out the hack I saw on youtube was a bit harder than I could handle. It required swapping a small sueface mount chip. unfortunately i destoryed both boards trying to get chips swaped. i was able to turn on the cluster and it ran for a bit but then died. it reported my mileage in KM instead of miles and was pretty messed up. then the display just went blank and any gaiges requiring processing on that board, stopped working.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This instrument cluster is turning into a bit of a nightmare. They took all my truck specs, programmed the odometer but not the speedometer. The MPH is off now as I'm assuming donor truck had different size wheels.

- The cluster lens was cracked.
- At least 2 bad stepper air core motors.
- The rear cover was cracked.
- The actual part that holds the motors that case was cracked too.
- It came with old bulbs.

I ended up spending hours rebuilding it. Only blessing was the mileage was correct. However, the new problem is my speedometer is wrong. Anybody know how to calibrate the speedometer? I'm assuming there's a ratio programmed into the computer somewhere? I made a separate post about that.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/99-02-speedometer-calibration.119863/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518