2001 Tahoe door lock control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waynes tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings to all!

I'm having problems with my door lock controls on my 2001 Tahoe and would appreciate any help and guidance.

My door lock control will unlock my doors but will not lock them.

• I tried removing driver's door control and cleaning it as seen on YouTube.
  • I just purchased a new door control and it did not work.
  • I removed all paneling and inspected each wiring connection. All are connected.
I figured there is power to unlock the doors but no power to lock the doors.
I cant determine which wire is for the lock and unlock.

Currently trying to locate a wiring diagram for the door lock control, but unsuccessful.

Please reply/help?

Thanks in advance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Please post pics of your rig.

Now would be a good time to join ALLDATAdiy.com for the same info techs/mechanics use in their shops for wiring schematics.

Are you sure the remote you are using is 100%? Do you have a second remote that does the same thing? Have you tried resetting your remote to see what happens?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the control on the door panel, or are you using a remote?

When you hit the switch to lock, can you hear the (any?) actuators in the door latches click, clunk, or otherwise make noise?

Are all of the doors closed securely when you try to lock it? You could have a door that is sensed "open".

OP
OP
W

waynes tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this the control on the door panel, or are you using a remote?

When you hit the switch to lock, can you hear the (any?) actuators in the door latches click, clunk, or otherwise make noise?

Are all of the doors closed securely when you try to lock it? You could have a door that is sensed "open".

It is the control on the door panel. key fob doesn't work at all.
Only the drivers door locks, when the door control either the front passengers door control or driver's door control is pressed.
All the doors unlock when the control on either the drivers door or the front passengers door are pressed.

Using a test probe light I came across a 15amp lock fuse and a 10amp lock fuse on the interior fuse box. When the lock switch is pressed nothing happens, but when I press the unlock switch the probe test light comes on.

I don't think it should be doing that and now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the interior fuse box and looking for wiring guide/schematic or diagram that indicates the exact wire color and path of the door lock current leading to and from those fuses. If anyone would be so kind to share their wiring diagram, I would very much appreciate it or share with me where to find one I've been searching the web have not come across it yet.

Just so you know I've tested relay ports and they both work lock and unlock are getting power when switches are engaged, I've switched the relays around because they are the same and still no change.

I recently viewed a post about the remote relay switch also being a lock switch, I'm not sure if it has any affect on the door lock controls but I'm going to test it today with the probe or replace the relay,. I don't have a multimeter to test relay properly.

Thanks for responding

OP
OP
W

waynes tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm referring to my door lock control. The key fob doesn't work.
all the doors unlock when unlock switches are pressed either the drivers door control, the front passenger door control or the rear hatch unlock switch.

when the lock switches are engaged from any of the 3 door lock controls (drivers control, front passengers control and rear hatch control) only the driver's door will lock .

I've tested the door lock and unlock relays using a test light probe both the unlock and lock relay are working correctly when the switches are engaged. I even switched the relay around because they are the same.

I also tested a 15 amp lock fuse and a 20 amp lock fuse on the interior fuse block and they are operating of getting power when the unlock switch are engaged and not receiving power when the lock switch are engaged.

I also tested the connection to the all the door actuators, the drivers door is operating correctly however the other doors do not lock and I found that the Tan wire with a black stripe turn red to green when engaged. I am now trying to figure out where the power current flows when the switch is engaged so I can follow the current flow to find the source of the shorting wire or other relays.

I need wiring diagram or schematic.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have power at the switch? Do you have ground at the switch? 3 wires or 4 at the switch? Works the same as power windows, swap switch leads with a test light or jumper. One direction is up/one down. The switch swaps power ground to change direction.2013-07-31_233307_2001_suburban_door_locks_relay.jpg

OP
OP
W

waynes tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very sorry for the late reply exp500. I do get power to all switches. all 3 switches unlock all the doors.

all 3 switches can lock only the drivers door. I'm trying to locate the common wire to all 4 remaining doors.

I should let you know that in the interior fuse box, there are 2 fuses labeled as lock.

one is a 15 amp fuse the other is a 20 amp fuse. Both these fuses are energized when I engage the unlock switch, but not energized when the lock switch is engaged. I was using a test light.

I find myself writing down notes of all my test as I go through these test/trouble shooting as it gets very confusing.

I have all the door panels off and completely removed the dash and reconnected the wires accordingly to locate a short.

I will be researching how to test all fuse blocks and remove the engine compartment fuse box to conduct continuity testing.

I very much appreciate the schematic you've shared and your reply.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start at Drivers door and work backwards. You have the signal and power there. All you really need is your test light. I suspect signal wire to relay. There is a body control module in there too, that is a 5 volt system(BCM) , so may only control the ground on signal wire relay. It helps to write the relay pin numbers till you understand it. Look at diagram closely with your other results handy. Good Luck and keep posting results.

OP
OP
W

waynes tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greeting to all! Just posting an update.

So yesterday I used the schematic to locate the LT Blue wire providing the power source to door switches and all is working accordingly.
  • all switches unlock all the doors.
  • all switches lock only the drivers door.
Now I am trying to locate the schematic for the door actuators. There are two wires Grey w/Blk stripe and Tan w/Blk stripe.
Using a test light I get power to all the actuators when unlock switch is engaged and no power to all the passengers door and the rear cargo hatch, only the drivers door receives power.

I wanted to ask exp500 where do you get your schematic from?

OP
OP
W

waynes tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Start at Drivers door and work backwards. You have the signal and power there. All you really need is your test light. I suspect signal wire to relay. There is a body control module in there too, that is a 5 volt system(BCM) , so may only control the ground on signal wire relay. It helps to write the relay pin numbers till you understand it. Look at diagram closely with your other results handy. Good Luck and keep posting results.

I want to start by Thanking you for your replies, you are very helpful.

Using the schematic provided I followed the drivers side power wire to the BCM (A5) and that is working fine because it is the power source for the lock switches and there a a total of 3 switches and all 3 lock the drivers door, but no signal to the passengers "actuator" and the rear hatch actuator.

I observed that the wire color to the drivers door actuator are solid Grey and solid Tan, whereas the other actuators are all Grey with black stripe and Tan with black stripe.

Today I will be visually tracing the Grey and Tan wires with the black stripe and testing with a test light then testing for continuity, and maybe testing with amp meter to see if I can get any passengers actuators to lock, that is if the amp meter can power it without damaging actuator or I am thinking of using a battery booster? Not certain if that is a good idea?

Any feedback or advice?