2001 Suburban stock speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasChevy86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a new to me 2001 Suburban and a majority of the speakers are blown. I wanted to ask you guys for brand recommendations to upgrade all the stock speakers. Would like a rich sound, but I prefer not to go the route of subs/amps/wiring etc., as they will probably just get stolen where I live. Just prefer to look at some stock replacements for the doors/panels.

Raserx63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Head over to Crutchfield.com . Even if you don't buy from them , they have a lot of reviews so you can get some ideas. I went with Kicker 6.5 inch components up front and mounted the tweeters in the stock location on the A pillars. In the rear doors , I also put 6.5" Kickers . They needed an adapter ring to fit as the stock rear door speakers are 5.25". Changing the head unit made a big difference in power , clarity and overall functionality as well...with the hands free calling and Apple CarPlay. My truck had the Bose 6 CD radio with the factory sub in the console. I didn't mess with the sub. I believe the 01' trucks had the sub in the rear..

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexasChevy86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Head over to Crutchfield.com . Even if you don't buy from them , they have a lot of reviews so you can get some ideas. I went with Kicker 6.5 inch components up front and mounted the tweeters in the stock location on the A pillars. In the rear doors , I also put 6.5" Kickers . They needed an adapter ring to fit as the stock rear door speakers are 5.25". Changing the head unit made a big difference in power , clarity and overall functionality as well...with the hands free calling and Apple CarPlay. My truck had the Bose 6 CD radio with the factory sub in the console. I didn't mess with the sub. I believe the 01' trucks had the sub in the rear.
Thanks a bunch. I’ll check them out

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, Crutchfield is the way to go, as an integral part of your research, even if you don't ultimately purchase from them. Get them on the phone and have a conversation with them, regarding your needs, as well as what you don't want to do (external amps). The advice is solid and free. They will give you solid options that will meet your needs and be well matched to the low power that your stock head units puts out, as you definitely do not want to select new speakers that require more power to run than you stock head unit can deliver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexasChevy86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As stated above, Crutchfield is the way to go, as an integral part of your research, even if you don't ultimate purchase from them. Get them on the phone and have a conversation with them, regarding your needs, as well as what you don't want to do (external amps). The advice is solid and free. They will give you solid options that will meet your needs and be well matched to the low power that your stock head units puts out, as you definitely do not want to select new speakers that require more power to run than you stock head unit can deliver.
Thanks for the advice and insight. Looks like Crutchfield is the clear winner here :) I should have initially specified that I DEFINITELY want to replace the head unit, as Bluetooth capability is mandatory. I will give them a holler regarding that too.

Raserx63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_5543.jpeg IMG_5546.jpeg IMG_5548.jpeg
Here is my install , I also used the correct modules to keep steering wheel controls ,etc.. I chose this Sony because it is single DIN sized behind the screen which left space for the harness and adapter modules. I also put in a back up cam while I was at it.

OP
OP
T

TexasChevy86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Question about your Sony. Does it pick whatever radio station it wants for you? I have a Sony that looks the same, I love it, CarPlay etc. but the radio part (admittedly don’t use it often) is crap. It will change radio station every time I get in the car. It also tried to put words on the presets, so I never know what frequency is what. Annoying.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the exact same unit I put in mine. I also put the same unit in all my kids cars. Love the big screen and Apple Car Play. I also like the volume knob.

View attachment 262210 View attachment 262209 View attachment 262208
Here is my install , I also used the correct modules to keep steering wheel controls ,etc.. I chose this Sony because it is single DIN sized behind the screen which left space for the harness and adapter modules. I also put in a back up cam while I was at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52

Latest posts