2000 Yukon..Heat issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always look at 2-3 videos in case someone on there is smart enough to "work smart and not hard".

Truth! Need to make sure you’re not following along with some guy with a “hold my beer and watch this” approach.

Saw a video that had a guy showing how to replace a fuel pump and he said, “A lot of folks will tell you that you should use non-sparking tools to loosen this fuel pump retaining ring, but that’s not necessary” as he takes a steel punch and a steel hammer and begins to go to town. I was waiting for a spark and a fire ball.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's what brass punches and brass hammers are for. I thought you were going to tell me he had a cig in his mouth the whole time.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible that the valve controlling the flow of hot water to the front heater core is not functioning? With dual heat zones, I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that there are two separate hot water control valves, one for each heater core. Folks with more knowledge than me in this area will chime in.

I'm pretty sure that these don't have a heater control valve in the cooling system. Unless I'm blind, I don't see one on mine.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Truth! Need to make sure you’re not following along with some guy with a “hold my beer and watch this” approach.

Saw a video that had a guy showing how to replace a fuel pump and he said, “A lot of folks will tell you that you should use non-sparking tools to loosen this fuel pump retaining ring, but that’s not necessary” as he takes a steel punch and a steel hammer and begins to go to town. I was waiting for a spark and a fire ball.

No kidding! No cigarettes, that I saw anyways!:eek:

Yea, usually when you run in to the video of "here, hold my beer while I do......" there is a cig involved as well. Never smoked ever in my life so it was never a problem for me. LOL

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

So I have this 2000 Yukon I bought as my winter ride / work beast. As its getting pretty cold now, ive been using the heat and lately the heat from the dash is just WEAK. it takes forever to get warm if it even decides to. Now, my rear heat is perfect and warms up just as you would expect. Where should I start with diagnosing this because I want to figure this out asap before its really cold? This is frustrating bc I bought it for winter and to give my Camaro a break but I wound up taking the cover off the Camaro this morning and taking it to work after giving up on the defrost trying to clear the windshield for over 15 minutes. The truck gets up to temp just fine and no overheat issues or anything like that.

Appreciate any help,

Adam
i'm sitting here wondering why no one has suggested checking the front blend door actuator? if the rear works fine that means the system is working properly, that leaves only 2 likely scenario's 1. the front blend door is not working properly. 2. possible front heater core clogged but it is much less likely.
it wont cost you any money to take off the passenger side bottom kick panel and check the hot/cold blend door for proper operation, you can even take off the actuator and turn the door by hand and feel for hot/cold air to verify

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i'm sitting here wondering why no one has suggested checking the front blend door actuator? if the rear works fine that means the system is working properly, that leaves only 2 likely scenario's 1. the front blend door is not working properly. 2. possible front heater core clogged but it is much less likely.
it wont cost you any money to take off the passenger side bottom kick panel and check the hot/cold blend door for proper operation, you can even take off the actuator and turn the door by hand and feel for hot/cold air to verify

I can explain. "BRAIN FART". We talk about that all the time but wouldn't that involve a blower feel problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can explain. "BRAIN FART". We talk about that all the time but wouldn't that involve a blower feel problem.
no, because the blend door only mixes hot & cold it does not control air flow, it could be getting stuck at 20% hot and 80% cold
it works like a Y both hot & cold air flow at up to 100% regardless if it is on 100% hot or 100% cold or anywhere in between
the door moves up and down mixing the air temperature

blendy.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score

Yeah I mean I get good airflow through the vents, its just not HOT. At least not for a LONG while. I just took the truck to lunch with some of my coworkers. Im gonna let it cool down and check my radiator and overflow levels. Maybe everything just needs to be topped off. I mean, nothing is ever that simple, but maybe

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
no, because the blend door only mixes hot & cold it does not control air flow, it could be getting stuck at 20% hot and 80% cold

unrelated im sure, but this truck doesn't have working air conditioning either as far as I know. I only tried to use it like twice since ive owned it and it never got cold. The heat was good when I got the truck a few months ago but its slowly getting worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n