2000 Tahoe Z71 OBS AC issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sphillips

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Z71 OBS with rear AC. The rear AC blows cold, but the front doesnt, barely cool. So the problem would appear to be some component particular to the front AC system. Air blows well out of the dash outlets, blower motor works on each setting from hi to low. All fuses good, compressor cycles on and off. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
Front Hot / Cold blend door actuator or dirty front freon orifice would be my bet.

If the compressors cycles constantly you could just be too low or hi on freon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sphillips

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Front Hot / Cold blend door actuator or dirty front freon orifice would be my bet.

If the compressors cycles constantly you could just be too low or hi on freon.

The manual describes a "temperature door". Is this the same as the blend door?

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
The manual describes a "temperature door". Is this the same as the blend door?

Yes.

There are typically 3 doors in the front not counting whatever they put in for DUAL Climate Control (His&Hers).

A Temperature door to blend hot air from heater core and cool air from the evaporator.

A directional door that swings from dash vents to floor vents to defroster vents and points in between.

A Recirculate (or Max Cool) door that switches between pulling in outside air (OFF) and reusing cabin air from passenger foot well (ON).

OP
OP
S

sphillips

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes.

There are typically 3 doors in the front not counting whatever they put in for DUAL Climate Control (His&Hers).

A Temperature door to blend hot air from heater core and cool air from the evaporator.

A directional door that swings from dash vents to floor vents to defroster vents and points in between.

A Recirculate (or Max Cool) door that switches between pulling in outside air (OFF) and reusing cabin air from passenger foot well (ON).

Thanks for clearing that up. The directional and recirculate doors work are working correctly, so probably the temp door motor.

OP
OP
S

sphillips

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. The directional and recirculate doors work are working correctly, so probably the temp door motor.

Well, I turned the ignition on without starting, and listened for the temp door as I moved the temp rheostat slowly from hot to cold and back. I could hear the motor come on and go off with each incremental movement. So, the motor is working, though I suppose that it doesn't mean that the door itself is moving properly, or at all. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660