2" lift with smooth ride.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chowder

Reaction score
Search for an answer and couldn't find any results with this.

In a couple months I will ne getting new tires all around, was going to this week but that didnt work out :doh2:. I was thinking of a leveling or small lift at the same time. Has anyone used 1" or 2" spring spacers in the rear with the Nivomat self leveling shocks?

I am going up one inch on the tire most likely and would like a small lift to go along with it. Im sure there wpuld be no rubbing issues so if the shocks don't respond well to the spacers I will just level the front. Thanks in advance.

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
Not sure if the spacer would mess with the shocks in the rear or not. Never messed with Nivomat shocks.

I did find that most people just move away from the Nivomat shocks completely, here is a link to a thread that contains all the info on doing that and probably more about the topic in general.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/nivomat-shock-replacement-input-needed.48042/
Thanks for the link lots of new info there. Thats my plan when the Nivomats kick the bucket. They do ride nice so I dont plan on getting rid of them while they work. With 140k on them so not sure they have much life left. Ill probanly just do the spacers and if they crap out, so be it.

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Z71 springs in the rear to help with towing our travel trailer. Initially it raised the rear right at 2”. I kept the nivomat shocks in the rear. I’m not sure if it has settled more since then or not as I don’t remember the measurements from then nor have I measured in a while. I have not noticed the shocks being extended too much to bottom out and I’ve had them in for about 5-6 thousand miles.

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
I installed the Z71 springs in the rear to help with towing our travel trailer. Initially it raised the rear right at 2”. I kept the nivomat shocks in the rear. I’m not sure if it has settled more since then or not as I don’t remember the measurements from then nor have I measured in a while. I have not noticed the shocks being extended too much to bottom out and I’ve had them in for about 5-6 thousand miles.

Awesome thanks for the info. I was actually thinking of Z71 springs instead of spacers. How do they ride?

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the front shocks with Bilstein 5100’s and the springs in the rear around the same time. My wife and me both feel it rides better. It has a little firmer ride to it.

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
I replaced the front shocks with Bilstein 5100’s and the springs in the rear around the same time. My wife and me both feel it rides better. It has a little firmer ride to it.

I am leaning towards this in a couple months when I have the spare cash. I have seen people regret the 4600's being too soft but havent seen anyone complain the 5100s were too rough yet. Its mostly a highway cruiser and with how much garbage I dodge here in San Antonio some tightened handling wouldn't be bad.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5100's hands down, and you can keep it stock or level the front without using those dumb front spacers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick