2.7 Turbomax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Baja_Bob

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inline 4 cylinder engines usually sound worse than V6 because they are less balanced. I6 engines are inherently balanced so they generally sound very smooth and refined. V8 rumble is great for motor heads (I admit I am one), but most people will prefer the smoothness of an I6.
The Turbomax in my Sierra definitely has a different sound than a V8, but has a comparable feel to the 5.3L in my Yukon.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow, despite that it SHOULD be easier to wrench on a 4-in-line / 6-in-line vs a V8, somehow, I doubt customers'll pay less for labor costs ...
No, they'll figure out how to cram it under the firewall further.......LOL

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been driving my Dad's 22 Silverado for the last month+ while my Burb is laid up. That i4 has some kick to it. Its way better on fuel than the dash is telling me and while I am not beating on it, I usually have the cruise set to 80mph. I am filling up once every 2 weeks on a smaller tank than the Burb. Its got plenty of power and the tires will break loose pretty easily on wet roads. My heart is screaming NO to a turbo 4, but my brain says me likey.

I started reading about it and found out there is a ** tune available straight from GM. In 2022, GM updated 2.7 block casting for added strength, went to a forged crank, and its getting the bearings out of the 3.0 diesel for increased strength as well. On top of that the turbo is water cooled. Some very cool tech on that 4 banger for sure. And while the 277hp figure is way below the 5.3's 355, the 464tq is a big step up compared to the 5.3's 383tq numbers

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If CAFE MpG tests are going to keep tightening the noose every year, there's gonna be even more 4-in-lines & 6-in-lines than there already are now.
(If you REALLY wanna throw up ... more 3-in-lines too! ... :doublepuke: )

There's one upside we can hope for though:
If they're turbocharged, they may turn out to be an even greater bang-for-the-buck in terms of performance improvement potential than the Syclone and the Typhoon.

The LB4-ZR9 is STILL an underrated engine to this day ...

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This engine is really built well. There's a few videos behind the durability of it. Built very stout and specifically for trucks.

EducatorDan

Reaction score
I've heard that GM is going to give a 6 year/100,000 mile engine warranty on the 2.7 in the trucks. Do the same thing for the SUVs, well I'll bet there are some burned DFM customers who wouldn't mind a warranty like that.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pass, they've been making v8s for like 80 years and can barely get that right, imagine a turbo 4 cylinder

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After getting 29.1 MPG going 73-75 miles per hour from Michigan to Florida and back in our 2022 3.0 diesel Suburban I will never go back to a gasoline engine. 765 miles of range was flat out awesome!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo