2.7 Turbomax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Do you think the 2.7 Turbomax will end up in the big GM SUVs, and if so, would you buy one with that engine? The horsepower and torque are similar to the 5.3

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trust the 2.7 TurboMax more than the LS/LT Variants. If I didnt think the interior was such garbage, I would consider it.

malba2366

Reaction score
GM is in a tough spot with these engines. They hung their hat on keeping V8s around, but the system that allows them to keep the V8 is troublesome. 4 Cyl engines would be a very tough sell in these SUVs especially at 70-80k+ price points because of the lack of refinement.

They cancelled the Turbo I6 that was based on this 4 cyl, which would have been a good engine to replace their V8s. The decision to cancel that I6 and develop a Gen 6 small block was probably marketing driven since many like having a NA V8 engine. The problem is that to have a NA V8 and meet government standards, they have to resort to using these cylinder deactivation systems (which have been problematic for all manufacturers that have tried them).

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's a very robust engine. I do like it. Drives well. Has plenty of power for the suvs. Gets good mpg. I wouldn't be surprised to see it offered. I'd pick it over a 5.3 myself. Torque curve is better. But I'm a baby duramax guy.

malba2366

Reaction score
I think it's a very robust engine. I do like it. Drives well. Has plenty of power for the suvs. Gets good mpg. I wouldn't be surprised to see it offered. I'd pick it over a 5.3 myself. Torque curve is better. But I'm a baby duramax guy.

This is what I have heard as well, it was a very odd decision to drop the turbo I6 that was based on this engine, especially considering the unresolved issue they are having with the V8 engines. The 4 cyl may be a bit underpowered for the heavier SUVs...it is probably workable with a hybrid but this is not the target market for that sort of powertrain.

I am looking to buy a new SUV within the next year or so, and if I go GM it will certainly be the drama.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to see how the new 2.5 Turbo 4 Cyl engines in the 2024 Acadia and the 2024 Traverse are received. I like the new styling but I am not eager to be "one of the first" to give them a try. Like most of us here, I like the relaxed nature of a big V8. Not sure if I will like the turbo experiance but it does seem like that is where we are headed.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence.......nothing sounds as good as a LS V8 in my opinion for the GM line. I couldn't handle the exhaust note. After riding in an eco-boost expedition, it irritated the heck out of me. But, maybe 4 cylinders with a turbo will sound better than a V6 turbo. (Maybe it was a 4 cylinder turbo? Not up on Ford motor too much)

My concern wouldn't be the power so much, turbo 4 bangers seem quite robust for their size. The longevity of the turbo would be my issue. Old school turbos seem to last forever. Combine EGR and variable veins and they seem to have more issues in my experience. But, maybe the gas versions won't have such issues vs diesel. My daughter's Ford fusion turbo is quite peppy and returns good economy for an awd car, so maybe there's hope....

malba2366

Reaction score
I'm on the fence.......nothing sounds as good as a LS V8 in my opinion for the GM line. I couldn't handle the exhaust note. After riding in an eco-boost expedition, it irritated the heck out of me. But, maybe 4 cylinders with a turbo will sound better than a V6 turbo. (Maybe it was a 4 cylinder turbo? Not up on Ford motor too much)

My concern wouldn't be the power so much, turbo 4 bangers seem quite robust for their size. The longevity of the turbo would be my issue. Old school turbos seem to last forever. Combine EGR and variable veins and they seem to have more issues in my experience. But, maybe the gas versions won't have such issues vs diesel. My daughter's Ford fusion turbo is quite peppy and returns good economy for an awd car, so maybe there's hope....

Inline 4 cylinder engines usually sound worse than V6 because they are less balanced. I6 engines are inherently balanced so they generally sound very smooth and refined. V8 rumble is great for motor heads (I admit I am one), but most people will prefer the smoothness of an I6.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow, despite that it SHOULD be easier to wrench on a 4-in-line / 6-in-line vs a V8, somehow, I doubt customers'll pay less for labor costs ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10