1999 Yukon Valve cover removal help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Electrico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am replacing the gasket on my valve covers. The driver side(left) does not come out easily. The A/C, PS mount in front of it overlaps the valve cover and it needs to be unfastened and pulled away about an inch from the heads in order to get the valve cover out.

I have removed from the mount:
(2) bolts
(1) nut attached to the stud
(1) bolt at the bottom
Detached A/C compressor from mount (4) bolts.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge about this?

Is there another bolt on the mount that I may have missed?

Does the Power steering pulley need to come out?

The PS unit seems to be attached to the mount only. Not attached to the engine.

IMG_1199.jpegIMG_1199.jpeg65125046318__DB12C625-FC3C-487E-9363-027C6F7D6FC2.jpeg65125053332__F4688BC9-429A-4739-A5F8-E8AC9009C630.jpeg

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Been a few years and hopefully an OBS owner will chime in but if I remember right, all that is mounted to a bracket bolted to the front of the engine that also holds all of the accessories and that has to be loosened. Remove that air snorkel and take pics again. Can't see real good in there. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Not gonna change what I typed about the air snorkel but that is the rad hose with convoluted tubing on it. DUH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

El Electrico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been a few years and hopefully an OBS owner will chime in but if I remember right, all that is mounted to a bracket bolted to the front of the engine that also holds all of the accessories and that has to be loosened. Remove that air snorkel and take pics again. Can't see real good in there. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Thanks. Yes, I am going to try some more pics when the rain stops. The air intake is on the other side. The upper radiator hose can be confused with the air intake.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Man, that is funny. That convoluted tubing around the hose threw me. Again, some OBS guys/gals need to chime in.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 3or 4 bolts holding that AC bracket to front of motor. May have to pull P/S pulley to reach one, usually not, but you can touch it with finger. You do have to loosen P/S bolts around exhaust enough for some wobble. Just lean the AC fwd enough to get cover off. Then put it back temp so you can adjust valves while you are there. Its a PITA. But only every 50K.

OP
OP
E

El Electrico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have 3or 4 bolts holding that AC bracket to front of motor. May have to pull P/S pulley to reach one, usually not, but you can touch it with finger. You do have to loosen P/S bolts around exhaust enough for some wobble. Just lean the AC fwd enough to get cover off. Then put it back temp so you can adjust valves while you are there. Its a PITA. But only every 50K.
Thanks exp500, I did think there might be another one behind the P/S pulley. I have added some degreaser to that area so I can see it better. I will certainly try doing these suggestions.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have enough loose, to get the clearance you need. When I did my lower intake, I had a helper pull with some force on the A/C bracket, which will give you the clearance you need. I didn’t pull my P/S pulley off. Yard on it!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be three bolts and one nut, but (going by memory here) there was another nut down low. Pull on it and you should see it hang on the bottom if that’s the case.
It may have been the PS bracket arm (#7) that bolts to the block but I don’t remember for sure.

5C54BEAE-F416-4B5B-B1AE-CF6554C42499.png

7FA9869E-FDF4-4BCD-AE38-ABEF6D0ABCAB.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts