1999 Tahoe (purchased this week and need help with trans issue)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nelson L tompley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK guys here's my latest update:
After studying the info everyone provided I decided to let a professional mechanic diagnose the shifting issue. I scheduled to take it to the shop tomorrow BUT today I was driving on the Interstate and the engine died.
I pulled over, opened the hood to take a look and my radiator overflow tank was boiling over.
This is strange because 2 days before I replaced the water pump and thermostat. I didn't have any water with me so I called the tow truck. While wating, a DOTD emergency help truck stopped to lend a hand.
He had several gallons of water so after a cool down we added water and I started the engine.

It started but I heard a loud chirping noise, like a dry bearing, so I quickly shut it down and waited until I got it home to do further testing. (I was thinking one of my pulleys had a dry bearing)

After I got the truck home I removed the serpintine belt, to ensure there were no strange noises coming from the engine. I started the engine and heard some god awful noises, loud chirping and metal on metal sounds so I quickly shut it down and called a mechanic friend who came by to give it a listen.

I started it and he heard the noise and I quickly shut it down.
His guess was (sounds like a Cam bearing failed) :favorites68:

So now I'm not so concerned about the mild shifting issue, instead, I'm trying to decide if I want to rebuild my engine, source a used low mileage engine or install a crate engine.

With limited funds I can't buy a crate engine so it comes down to a rebuild or used engine.

OK, here's the deal - I purchased this truck from my neighbor (at a very reasonable price because it had the shifting issue and had been sitting up for several years and he busted out the rear hatch glass with a rock thrown from his weed eater) my intention was to get the truck back in good driving condition, looking good, flip it and get some extra cash to go towards the restoration of my 1974 Detomaso Pantera.

From a purely financial point of view, my gut tells me to open up the top end, see if the problem is located only in that area. If it is, repair and continue on with repairing the shifting issue and sell.

Of course if I was keeping the truck long term I would do a major rebuild.

I would appreciate your comments/suggestions ...

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys here's my latest update:

From a purely financial point of view, my gut tells me to open up the top end, see if the problem is located only in that area. If it is, repair and continue on with repairing the shifting issue and sell.

Of course if I was keeping the truck long term I would do a major rebuild.

I would appreciate your comments/suggestions ...

Seems reasonable, but you’ll probably end up doing a rebuild since you’ll be halfway in there already, lol.

Could you come close to break-even selling it now, as-is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I recently purchased a 1999 Tahoe 2 door that was sitting up for 5 years,
I did the usual, change fluids, etc ...
The vehicle runs great but I'm having a shifting issue (Note-this is why the previous owner stopped driving the vehicle)

Issue:
(with the 4x4 control panel in 2WD) Put the trans in Drive and take off,
it shifts to 2nd and as ur accelerating to 3rd gear, the transmission acts like it shifts to a low gear and the rpms jump up high.

This doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it drives perfect but moew often than not is occurs.

Today I replaced the 4x4 control panel but the same thing occurs.

4x4 control panel lights:
Sometimes when you start the vehicle all of the lights on the control panel are lit on and stay on.
Sometimes when you start the vehicle the 2WD light on the control panel is on and stays on.

The sudden downshift issue happens no matter which control panel setting you select (except) if you select Auto 4WD/2WD the sudden downshift issue doesnt occur BUT I don't use this selection because sometimes the trans sounds like its having a hard time deciding which mode you want to use.

Sometimes the 'Service 4WD' light comes on but not all the time ...

Could it possibly be a defective Shift Solenoid?
or a Throttle Position Sensor?

Before I start throwing additional money at this vehicle I've always found it's best to ask fellow forum members.
The wheels been invented, I just need help finding the correct spoke
smiley-face-popcorn.gif

Thanks for your suggestions ...
transfer case is slipping

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i second east302
you bought it for a flip and its already becoming a money pit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members