1999 Tahoe 10 bolt to 14 bolt swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead262

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm starting a new Project swapping out the weak 10 bolt rear end to a 14 bolt rear end and I need help so the questions start! 1st My hoe is 4 wheel drive what is the stock gear ratio on the front end? 2nd the rear end I'm buying from a buddy he thinks it came Out of a 2500 6 lug he thinks the truck was an 89 not totally sure but he thinks what all is gonna have to be done to the rear end to make it fit? And 3 from what I have been reading the 2wd reared is skinnyer than the 4wd rear ends hats all the ? I have for now if I think of any more ill add more posts thanks

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory gear ratios are either 3.42 or 3.73's. Most 2 doors had 3.73's. Most 4 doors had 3.42's I think.

The 4wd is longer than the 2wd. Either find out if the axle was from a 4wd, or measure up your current 10bolt and the 14SF

Swap wise. You will need a conversion u-joint. Shock mounts will bolt right up. If I was swapping in a 14sf into a truck, I'd also regear it and throw a traction device in of some sort. And I would go threw it and replace seals, and what not. A trutrac is a good choice for the 14SF.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 95 4 door had 3.73s.

The tow package equiped trucks had 3.73s I believe.

OP
OP
J

Jarhead262

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a friend at the Chevy dealership and he read the blueprints for my hoe and it looks like my 4 door has 373's so now I'm looking at trutrac diff I'm running 33's and have so slack in the stock 10 bolt that came stock now does anyone know about it I'm gonna have to relocate the aping perches on my new axle an thank u everyone who responded

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be sooo much easier to understand if you used grammar and spell-checked...

Anyways, for your questions, if the donor truck is 4wd (most likely) the axles are the same width, and the spring perches will line up. This is very nearly a direct bolt-on thing. You'll need to change the yoke on either the axle to match your driveshaft, or have a new one made with the proper u-joints. I'm looking into doing this swap on mine someday, but I know several guys around here have done this swap so maybe they could chime in.

OP
OP
J

Jarhead262

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
change of rear end

thank u and sorry bout the typos im using my iphone so it does not catch everything. now when i started this thread i said i was getting a 89 14 bolt and was woried about the spring perches but i just found a 98 14 bolt with my correct gearing and was wondering because mine is a nnbs and that is also a nnbs. would the perches, shock mounts and sway bar all line up? also would i still have to do the u joint adapter?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
thank u and sorry bout the typos im using my iphone so it does not catch everything. now when i started this thread i said i was getting a 89 14 bolt and was woried about the spring perches but i just found a 98 14 bolt with my correct gearing and was wondering because mine is a nnbs and that is also a nnbs. would the perches, shock mounts and sway bar all line up? also would i still have to do the u joint adapter?

You have a 88-98 "OBS". Yes, you need new U-joints. The bigger axle from the 3/4 ton has a bigger U-joint than the 1/2 tons.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No worries, if they're the same body style, (donor is a 98 and yours is somewhere from 95-99) then the swap is pretty much bolt-in, aside from the u-joints, which is a minor deal. Is the donor axle a 6-lug pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadnerAutomotive