1997 'Hoe runs rough after top end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sorry I get I am starting to get my acronyms goofed. I also forgot that on that sensor is uses a rubber grommet so make sure it is not cracked or bits of it are missing causing an air leak around the whole of the sensor port.

OP
OP
F

frustrated'hoeowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. Everything seems to check out. It idles rough and wants to die in gear at idle at times. I did notice that it is burning an excessive amount of gas, so my next question; do I need to replace the o2 sensors? I havent popped any dtc's that refer to o2 sensors.

When the head gasket blew, there was coolant that made its way out the exhaust pipe, passed all of the o2 sensors. Im thinking that trashed 'em. any thoughts?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would see if you can graph the o2 outputs with a scanner to see there activity levels before throwing money at them. I don't supposed you can post data log of a few minutes run could you?

I also feel bad, for a few days I was in Fresno at the end of June and had my diag equipment with me but I forgot about your post. I could have hailed you some how and could have gone to your place or somewhere in between.

I am getting ready to tear of my heads this weekend myself.

OP
OP
F

frustrated'hoeowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dont have a scanner capable of that. I could ask around and see if I can find someone this weekend that has one I can use.

I figure its either o2 sensors or fuel filter. something is choking out the engine. Its either too much fuel due to malfumctioning o2 sensors or a lack of fuel because of a clogged filter.

My guess is the sensors got trashed after the coolant passed through them.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Btw: no biggie on your trip to fresno. Im sure the reason you were here was completely more impotant. No sweat dude. You have been a huge help sunlitcomet!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Based on your description of your Bosch plug I really doubt you are having a fuel restriction. Check the local Autozones and borrow a fuel pressure gauge to get a reading.

OP
OP
F

frustrated'hoeowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Used a fuel pressure guage and consistently reads between 58-62 psi, and that is key on as well as running. The exhaust smells very rich. I am starting to think o2 sensors but no dtc shows up for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019