1995 Tahoe cat back exhaust fitting issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive NEVER seen a proper exhaust shop use a clamp like that? Why they didn't just weld up a 2 bolt flange is beyond me as opposed to welding a 6$ reducer to the flange face. If i saw that unaware of your story id assume you had some guy of craigslist do it in exchange for a 12pack.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I go to an exhaust shop, should they be able to remove this crap and do it correctly? The weld can be removed, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. If I go to an exhaust shop, should they be able to remove this crap and do it correctly? The weld can be removed, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally went to an exhaust shop. They don't me that they weld can't be removed and they'd have to cut the flange off of the cat-back exhaust. Can the weld inside the flange really NOT be removed? Seems like they just didn't want to do it. I told them about using some sort of adapter from the cat to the rest of the exhaust and they said "we don't have those".

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post a picture of the modified area and ill give you a clear answer. if you know the pipe diameter ill even link you the part so you can buy the correct part and throw it at thier face.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post a picture of the modified area and ill give you a clear answer. if you know the pipe diameter ill even link you the part so you can buy the correct part and throw it at thier face.

See my post #5 on the previous page. The shop I took it to (they are friends of mine) really had no business putting it on, but they offered. They put a weld INSIDE the flange of the new exhaust and mated that to the cat with an adapter and clamp. Had I known the previous owner had botched the flange on the cat I would have just purchased a new Y-pipe with the cat for $200 on Amazon and mated it up properly to the new exhaust. So I still have this question, can the weld that was put inside the flange be removed, or does THAT flange now have to be cut off as well?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok yes the original picture i commented on. again that can be corrected and it sounds more like these shops are just trying to jerk you around for more money. its not really that big of deal if you cant find a shop that will fix it correctly. ill try to pull up some slip on flanges for you later on but it sounds more like you need to even find a shop that will make an effort.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok yes the original picture i commented on. again that can be corrected and it sounds more like these shops are just trying to jerk you around for more money. its not really that big of deal if you cant find a shop that will fix it correctly. ill try to pull up some slip on flanges for you later on but it sounds more like you need to even find a shop that will make an effort.

Ok, please do. I'd greatly appreciate it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stock cat piping is 2.5" and this cat-back section is 3" I believe? I could be wrong, but I remember the notes from Gibson said it was a 3" exhaust.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the y pipe to a single pipe back should be 3" so on that note
SUM-626002
3 in exhaust weld on flange.
cut that adapter off smooth out the Gibson flange. weld that flange onto the pipe use the gasket that should have came with the gibson kit add some bolts and your back to stock design. find a reputable exhaust shop show them that part and tell them what you want done. you can either order the part yourself or the shop can get what you need do the work and your done. i mean holy cow i could fix this with my 110 Lincoln welder and some time in my garage. not suggesting you should be able to do it but i have my own welder and do auto work on the side these shops are really getting bad. had my truck in the shop a few months ago for work i just didnt have time to do. i ended up having to fix thier fix anyway.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the y pipe to a single pipe back should be 3" so on that note
SUM-626002
3 in exhaust weld on flange.
cut that adapter off smooth out the Gibson flange. weld that flange onto the pipe use the gasket that should have came with the gibson kit add some bolts and your back to stock design. find a reputable exhaust shop show them that part and tell them what you want done. you can either order the part yourself or the shop can get what you need do the work and your done. i mean holy cow i could fix this with my 110 Lincoln welder and some time in my garage. not suggesting you should be able to do it but i have my own welder and do auto work on the side these shops are really getting bad. had my truck in the shop a few months ago for work i just didnt have time to do. i ended up having to fix thier fix anyway.

Oh, another issue. I don't have the hardware to bolt the flanges together. The bolts from the cat were not there when I purchased the truck. It had just been welded instead of bolted. So, I will have to come up with hardware as well.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bolts will just be standard bolts to pull the flanges together for the seal. not an issue any appropriate sized bolt and nut from a local hardware store will work.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bolts will just be standard bolts to pull the flanges together for the seal. not an issue any appropriate sized bolt and nut from a local hardware store will work.

I forgot to mention that there is also a very small hole in the cat itself. At least they found that. I saw and felt it for myself. So, not sure if I should just go ahead and buy a Y-pipe and cat or just leave as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts