1995 Tahoe cat back exhaust fitting issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you buy a y pipe that woll solve part of your problem. you would have a new flange. then you just need to find a shop that isnt completely useless. also that weld on flange can also be used to replace the flange on the Gibson side. rockauto.com and summitracing is the place i suggest to get any of your needed parts. rockauto usually has the cheapest parts on anything stock oem related. summit will have everything under the sun aftermarket performance and universal fit related stuff. summit also has stock oem type stuff but rockauto is usually cheaper

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I finally found a reputable guy that does all kinds of custom exhaust work on the side. He can fix the issue no problem, also gave me the option of deleting the cat. Can someone tell me the factory diameter for the piping in to and out of the cat? What about the headers and y-pipe? Thank you ahead of time. Also, opinions on deleting the cat? How much louder will it be?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cut the cat off a 94 suburban running 3in exhaust to a single flowmaster 40. before i cut the cat off i would get compliments on how good it sounded. afterwards my neighbor complained and told me he could hear my truck idling from inside his house. his house is probably 8 -10 car lengths off maybe a bit more but you get the point. stock style cat btw a newer style straight through cat wont have much sound change. i tried to tone it down with a magnaflow cat rated for that truck it was marginally better.

Sean James

Reaction score
If it runs/works don't sweat it. If your State/local County does not inspect it, don't sweat it. Yea, it's kinda rigged, but you probably got a deal, and it's not the first vehicle to use clamps, they actually work. Some muffler shops can do incredible things if they are good welders, but if it does not rattle, leak, throw a code, and does not bump against the body or suspension...again don't sweat it. It will probably last forever if you spray some galvanized paint on it. It probably sounds good and gives you an extra 250 horsepower. As long as you are happy with the sound, be happy and love your truck...nobody is the wiser. Of course, you could always pay sombody $900 to make it perfect. Been there done that, the pain goes away after 120 miles on the highway :)

Sean James

Reaction score
Oopps, just saw that you have a pinhole in one of your cats. That sucks, it's probably shot. I live where they don't inspect and deleted my cats when one of them went south and didn't have the money to replace them (94 Silverado 1500/350 4wd). With dual cats to a single flowmaster setup it sounded pretty nice, but after deleting the cats, it was a little louder, but still not obnoxious. The problem was it threw a code of course. So I installed spark plug extenders in the O2 sensors, all was well, but check light still comes on occasionally then goes off. Performance and fuel mileage seems to still be the same. It's up to you, but the cats are there for a reason, the computer, yes, even on a '94 needs them to run perfect. Mine was mostly a farm/work truck, but she was put through hell in the Winters and to this day starts first kick every time with 230K on the dash. If your truck / SUV is cherry, I would do it right. Spend the money, get new cats, and tune up, and then your exhaust can be welded up perfect by a muffler shop for a few bills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs