1995 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 wiring harness, broken wire at transfer case somewhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wysiwigs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, my 4wd stopped engaging and I have tracked back the wiring harness under the vehicle to the transfer case. The wire has broken/disconnected, but I cannot figure out where to reconnect it. I have a photo here of the back area of the transfer case, there is one wire toward the top there that has broken and that mess appears to be stuck to the back floor of the vehicle with black hard goo of some kind. I don't know if that wire is what I need to reconnect, or if it's the wire toward the very bottom right of the photo next to a white plastic piece that appears to be a connector of some kind.

I know that I am looking to connect to a brown wire? It's difficult to tell what color these wires are with them being so rotted and brittle. I cannot find a diagram that shows only the wiring harness connecting to my transfer case, and I don't want to go fussing around with wires that I don't need to be touching with how brittle they are in this cold. (I'm in Michigan and winter is here in full force) I also see a frayed green/black wire to the right, and I haven't a clue what that one goes to either. But, I just need the 4x4 wire working for now.

Can someone help me understand where this connects and send an understandable diagram if you have one? I'm thinking it's the wire toward the bottom mentioned above because it looks to have had a cover on it from the yellow crimp connector. It's a clean break. If that's it, is there a connector attached to that which can be removed? I need a better picture of that, but it's too cold to get under there right now. Will have to wait until the weekend, my garage is not heated. frown.gif I do have a kerosene heater en route to help with that. IF I can get this reconnected to survive the winter, I will try replacing all of that in the spring when it's warmer to work.

en_wire_2_5b6f8f4ec625352064b9b7cd1a451607a54aec97.jpg

Thanks so much, this has been a major job for me with this cold. I have already replaced the pigtail connectors at the front which were corroded, and the actuator is fine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, my 4wd stopped engaging and I have tracked back the wiring harness under the vehicle to the transfer case. The wire has broken/disconnected, but I cannot figure out where to reconnect it. I have a photo here of the back area of the transfer case, there is one wire toward the top there that has broken and that mess appears to be stuck to the back floor of the vehicle with black hard goo of some kind. I don't know if that wire is what I need to reconnect, or if it's the wire toward the very bottom right of the photo next to a white plastic piece that appears to be a connector of some kind.

I know that I am looking to connect to a brown wire? It's difficult to tell what color these wires are with them being so rotted and brittle. I cannot find a diagram that shows only the wiring harness connecting to my transfer case, and I don't want to go fussing around with wires that I don't need to be touching with how brittle they are in this cold. (I'm in Michigan and winter is here in full force) I also see a frayed green/black wire to the right, and I haven't a clue what that one goes to either. But, I just need the 4x4 wire working for now.

Can someone help me understand where this connects and send an understandable diagram if you have one? I'm thinking it's the wire toward the bottom mentioned above because it looks to have had a cover on it from the yellow crimp connector. It's a clean break. If that's it, is there a connector attached to that which can be removed? I need a better picture of that, but it's too cold to get under there right now. Will have to wait until the weekend, my garage is not heated. frown.gif I do have a kerosene heater en route to help with that. IF I can get this reconnected to survive the winter, I will try replacing all of that in the spring when it's warmer to work.

en_wire_2_5b6f8f4ec625352064b9b7cd1a451607a54aec97.jpg

Thanks so much, this has been a major job for me with this cold. I have already replaced the pigtail connectors at the front which were corroded, and the actuator is fine.
looks like it's right there

wire.jpg

OP
OP
W

wysiwigs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The two wires in the photo.....are those in fact something to do with the transfer case?
I know that my fuel gauge has not operated correctly for many years, but I don't think those wires lead to anything like that, and they appear to be a fresh break.
I feel I'm getting closer........if my little fingers can handle those wires in the cold. LOL
user_online.gif report.gif

OP
OP
W

wysiwigs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the wire I'm talking about, where the red arrow is pointing. I don't know where it connects. The wiring diagrams are so confusing because they include wiring to so many other things and I get lost in the shuffle.
4wd wire harness.jpg

OP
OP
W

wysiwigs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe I have found where to connect the wire from the wiring harness, to the transfer case switch on top left of case. I'll locate that this weekend.
Now, for those two broken wires in the first photo....is it possible that is the speed sensor? I have a service repair manual and looking at wiring it appears it might be that. The yellow/black frayed wire I am still trying to track down.
Any help is appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11