1995 2-Door AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teejayone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I bought my Yukon the AC wasnt working... I re-charged it. It blew cold for about a week. Then went back to blowing hot. Took it to a shop and they did a leak test. Shop said it is leaking at the compressor and wants $1000 to replace the compressor, orfice tube and condenser.

What are the best items to replace while I am in there? Rockauto has AC Compressor, clutch, condenser and orfice tube for like $400. Anything else needed ? Do I even need a clutch? Remember, it was blowing cold fine when I charged it.... Trying to get this done cheap.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it has a clutch and why do you have to replace the compressor, orifice tube or condenser? did the use a leak dye and show you all three parts were leaking?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor will come with a new clutch. Probably don't need a condenser, evaporators are cheap and easy to fix. Make sure you keep all your old sensors for your old parts.

Could be just the gasket at the back of the compressor where the lines bolt up.

OP
OP
teejayone

teejayone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The compressor will come with a new clutch. Probably don't need a condenser, evaporators are cheap and easy to fix. Make sure you keep all your old sensors for your old parts.

Could be just the gasket at the back of the compressor where the lines bolt up.

Your right on the clutch coming with the compressor... Rock Auto has part # 1520189 (AC Delco) with compressor and clutch for $179.

Maybe I will try to buy the gasket first. Its only $10. Might be worth a shot.

Someone in the past told me you need to change all compressor, condenser, orfice tube, etc all at the same time.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should do the orifice tube when ever you open up the system, if you buy parts from Autozone they will actually double the warranty on the evaporator if purchased with a new orifice tube at the same time.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
again did they actually show you the leak? besides dye they could also use a electronic sniffer. i would be weary of a mechanic that says just one leak requires replacement of two major components physically separated from each other, one of which has not moving parts and is not the part leaking as told by technician. it sounds like the want to replace parts just so they dont have a callback cause they may have misdiagnosed something. and what about the receiver/drier if anything should ever be replaced along with the compressor it would be that. if you suspect leaks that get really low and possibly get outside moisture into the system by constant topping off it really should go. if an orifice tube is clean and undamaged it can be reused. if it has orings tho on it it might be go to replace it only if your remove it and handle it a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
teejayone

teejayone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, the shop didnt show me the leak....

Thanks for all the info. I will start with compressor, orifice tube and dryer. Only about $200 on rockauto.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Yank