16 Suburban wind noise 60+ mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced and/or identified the source of a pretty significant wind noise at 60+ MPH? It's coming from my driver's door somewhere, it sounds like it's right in my left ear while I'm driving.

The truck didn't do this when I first bought it, I'm wondering what could have changed or worn out in a year's time or so. I go to automatic car washes a lot, I was thinking maybe the strong blower at the end might have slightly dislodged the B-pillar trim that sometimes comes off on these trucks. I looked at all my B-pillar trim and it's all securely fastened and doesn't look dislodged even a little.

Could the door seals be going bad? Any ideas?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your window trim, I know that was an issue with earlier models.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it helps any, but wind noise is pretty much a standard equipment in GM trucks and SUVs. And has been for quite some time already. Unfortunately...

Some have it worse than others. I’ve had both examples over the last 10+ years in our trucks and SUVs.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it helps any, but wind noise is pretty much a standard equipment in GM trucks and SUVs. And has been for quite some time already. Unfortunately...

Some have it worse than others. I’ve had both examples over the last 10+ years in our trucks and SUVs.

Ha, you sir are not wrong. But this one just started and it's quite loud. Didn't know if there was something specific to this K2 body that is typical that I should check on, other than the B-pillar trim which I've already checked.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, you sir are not wrong. But this one just started and it's quite loud. Didn't know if there was something specific to this K2 body that is typical that I should check on, other than the B-pillar trim which I've already checked.

B pillar trim can seem like its well on there but still make noise. Mine drove me nuts as I thought it was on solid until it got worse and I saw it vibrating. I 2nd the above use painters tape and tape off the gaps on the trim to see if it goes away. Once my trim was fixed im back to 0 wind noise. If you have a sun roof you could also tape over the seam around it to rule it out.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly on a 16, i would not rule out the door weather stripping starting to weaken.

i have considered swapping my 17 to new rubbers.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly on a 16, i would not rule out the door weather stripping starting to weaken.

i have considered swapping my 17 to new rubbers.

If that were the culprit I would be exceptionally disappointed. Although really whatever it is, it's already disappointing.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 Yukon here, might be the same problem, although mine I only notice when it’s cold out (less than 30 deg F) and the truck has been outside for a while. It’s a whistling sound from, I think, front to upper part of drivers door. Thinking a seal is contracting a bit in the cold. After parked in the garage overnight, it’s fine on first drive. I had noticed the upper door frame was out away from the body quite a bit, wonder if at some point a wedge was used if keys were locked in it in the past. Put a wood block at the hinge with window rolled down and kept pushing on the upper frame until it was nicely aligned this summer. Thought I had it, door closes a lot tighter now, but sure enough this winter it’s back. Put sil-glyde on the weather stripping, have hit with compressed air to try to duplicate, folded the mirror in, checked b-pillar, cracked the window, no luck so far. Have to try the painters tape (if it’ll stick in the cold) and/or fog it. Minor, but this kind of thing drives me nuts till I fix it.