12v outlets always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKaechler

Reaction score
on my 2011 Tahoe LT.
both of the 12v outlets on the dash are always on. I would like to have them switch off with the key.
is there a relatively easy way to make this happen?

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not "easy". Guess it would depend on your skill level. You'd have to remove the dash bezel(s) and moved the hot lead to a non energized source that only comes on with the key.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to that model year, but there should be three modes. On always, On with key on/engine running and On with key in Accessory position as well as engine running. You'll need to find a spot on the fuse block that's hot only in the mode you want and somehow move the power lead to the outlets accordingly.

I'd kind of like to do the same thing with mine, but I haven't dug into it yet. I have three outlets and I only use them for things like the cell phone and a mug heater, so there really is no reason for them all to be hit full time.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure without a wiring diagram, but I know on other vehicles it's just a matter of what fuse the wire is landed at. Some even have a 3 way fuse connection that allows foe always on, or keyed power.

My 2017 only works with ignition on and I hate it. I much prefer my 2008 setup.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a first-world problem on GMT800s, for sure. Same on my 2001 GMC Yukon. Most 12V cigarette lighter USB chargers have a power on illumination light, so if you leave the charger inserted you will draw power off the battery. Not much, but that’s not ideal. I have to admit my solution was overkill. I installed a new Double-DIN head unit with a USB-C outlet included on the back, and I ran the extension wire around thru the dash at the charger panel. I’ve since decided to move it again and run it thru to the center console box.

Attachments

• 48A79DBC-D533-4092-9746-51586A1BA34D.jpeg
    48A79DBC-D533-4092-9746-51586A1BA34D.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 8

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed this in 2 cars now. one to make it constant and one to change to switched.

for your tahoe there's a switched aux power fuse in the fuse box, using fuse taps, I used that to power the wire in the first going to the cig lighter.. the right side one I believe it was.

been a while so I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head. but 2 of the fuse taps and it's simple in the under hood fuse box. just use one to take power off the switched fuse. crimp the wires together and use it to power the non powered side of the fuse you pulled from the cigarette lighter slot.

Attachments

• overview_image_167945496_1311462.jpg
    overview_image_167945496_1311462.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 6

Malii Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on my 2011 Tahoe LT.
both of the 12v outlets on the dash are always on. I would like to have them switch off with the key.
is there a relatively easy way to make this happen?
Just curious why you wanted to turn off. I love being able to charge my phone without having all the electronics in the car on. I wish every car was like this.

OP
OP
JKaechler

JKaechler

Reaction score
Just curious why you wanted to turn off. I love being able to charge my phone without having all the electronics in the car on. I wish every car was like this.
I have a bluetooth adapter connected to my Aux jack. I would like it to go off, so that my Audible audiobooks dont keep playing silently as I walk away from the car... that has happened.

I had a bluetooth head unit in the old car, and I will be swapping to a newer head unit on this tahoe eventually... But I also like the idea of my magsafe mount not being powered up all the time, and i am way to forgetful to remember to unplug it each time. I would also use that key switched circuit to power my dash cam, I had one in the old car which used a capacitor instead of a LION batt. it was on switched power and just came on when i started the car.

There are sometimes stretches of 3 or 4 days where i work from home, and never go out and start the car. I dont want my accessories to be the reason why my battery is dead. that has totally happened to me in the not-so-distant past

somebody farther up the thread linked a power adapter that has a RAP circuit, and a battery power circuit. That combined with a simple relay would totally solve the problem. I just need to get it done.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bluetooth adapter connected to my Aux jack. I would like it to go off, so that my Audible audiobooks dont keep playing silently as I walk away from the car... that has happened.

I had a bluetooth head unit in the old car, and I will be swapping to a newer head unit on this tahoe eventually... But I also like the idea of my magsafe mount not being powered up all the time, and i am way to forgetful to remember to unplug it each time. I would also use that key switched circuit to power my dash cam, I had one in the old car which used a capacitor instead of a LION batt. it was on switched power and just came on when i started the car.

There are sometimes stretches of 3 or 4 days where i work from home, and never go out and start the car. I dont want my accessories to be the reason why my battery is dead. that has totally happened to me in the not-so-distant past

somebody farther up the thread linked a power adapter that has a RAP circuit, and a battery power circuit. That combined with a simple relay would totally solve the problem. I just need to get it done.
Get a solar panel to keep the battery topped off