09 Tahoe with Commercial trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sctrl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post here.
I've been lurking around, reading about Tahoes, in anticipation of buying one. I'm interested in third gen models.
I came across a relatively good priced 2009 Tahoe. But the vin decoder says it is a Commercial trim and it's been part of the fleet.
What is the general opinion about these fleet/commercial trucks? Are they ok to buy? Will they be more or less neglected than general consumer trucks?
Thanks in advance.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’m sure there’s a lot of variables, mine was severely abused. If I’d have known the full extent, I would have passed it over and bought a privately owned vehicle. I did save some money initially, but I’ve spent it all and more at the parts counter.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking around, reading about Tahoes, in anticipation of buying one. I'm interested in third gen models.
I came across a relatively good priced 2009 Tahoe. But the vin decoder says it is a Commercial trim and it's been part of the fleet.
What is the general opinion about these fleet/commercial trucks? Are they ok to buy? Will they be more or less neglected than general consumer trucks?
Thanks in advance.

Really depends on how it was maintained. Is the interior all beat up? How does the undercarriage and chassis look? Is it an ex-cop car or border patrol or from a large corporation such as an oi company? We've seen some good ones and have also seen some general consumer trucks that were badly neglected too. Condition means a lot.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

Before you buy anything have it checked out by a independent mechanic or a Mobile mechanic. Service records would be a huge help. A one driver take home is best. Miles does not scare me as long as it was serviced on schedule.

Out of curiosity what is your location?

Welcome from Miami Beach and NYC!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
One situation fitting that description is a Mgr or Dlr principal vehicle. If it is from a car dealers manager or owner, ****** it. They live at the dealer every day and have unlimited reign of the service department’s maint and repair department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always get a pre-purchase inspection. Carfax will show the vehicle as commercial if someone who owns their own business bought it and registered it to the business even though for all intents it was a personal vehicle.

If it was truly a commercial vehicle, I still recommend getting a pre-purchase inspection. Some companies take impeccable care of their vehicles and other (more commonly) will not and do the absolute bare minimum and get rid of it at the first big repair bill.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving lots of good suggestions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One situation fitting that description is a Mgr or Dlr principal vehicle. If it is from a car dealers manager or owner, ****** it. They live at the dealer every day and have unlimited reign of the service department’s maint and repair department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are they generally registered, if the dealer is using it for personal transport?

The reason I ask is I found a 2019 "new" Land Cruiser for sale at a relatively local dealer with like 30K miles on it. It was a steal price wise, but it seemed odd as it was two years old and still "new". When I asked how it could be new, he said it was the owners wife's car and it was never registered. I was very confused and passed on it. Sounds like I should have bought it.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they generally registered, if the dealer is using it for personal transport?

The reason I ask is I found a 2019 "new" Land Cruiser for sale at a relatively local dealer with like 30K miles on it. It was a steal price wise, but it seemed odd as it was two years old and still "new". When I asked how it could be new, he said it was the owners wife's car and it was never registered. I was very confused and passed on it. Sounds like I should have bought it.

Yeah they just ran it on Dealer tags, no requirement to tag/title it. The dealer tags fall under an insurance policy for the dealer

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

legally it's not new unless you got the full warranty miles and years (this is something you have to get in writing)

if the warranty is punched it's not new then...

I had to do this for when my grandpa got a car I made sure to get it in writing and notarized(need a mobile notary) (in this case we brought three extra witness to sign it also...)

this way if shit hits the fan warranty wise the dealer will have to take ownership of warranty issues..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission