09 Tahoe Brake lights stay on when truck is running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe_SSV

Reaction score
So recently I've developed some issues. My traction control and service stabilitrac warnings have been coming up on DIC. usually they go away fairly quickly. But now my brake lights are staying on constantly. I know just by the way it is acting that problems with the transmission are arising. It has 155,000 miles so I figure it is about time for some attention to be given to the ol girl. If anyone knows what could be causing these issues, I would love some feedback...I have a 25,000 mile or 2 year extended warranty. So what should I do?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, find out exactly what the warranty covers and does not cover.

Your brake light issue is probably the brake switch above the pedal. The part number is 25981009 or D1539J, both numbers on ACDelco packaging. Aftermarket units do not work right or last and don't even bother cleaning it. Never seems to work or last. $10.88 Delivered on Amazon right now.

I say this with the caveat that you ought to pull the codes first before firing the parts cannon. These codes probably reside in the BCM module so a typical code reader won't see it.

OP
OP
Tahoe_SSV

Tahoe_SSV

Reaction score
I changed the brake switch above brake pedal. That didn't do anything. Next step is take to shop I guess...I really hate having to pay someone 50-75 bucks an hour when I know that it is something that I can change myself

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed the brake switch above brake pedal. That didn't do anything. Next step is take to shop I guess...I really hate having to pay someone 50-75 bucks an hour when I know that it is something that I can change myself
Do you have aftermarket LED tail lights by chance? I would try a different set of tail lights regardless, to see if it’s a wiring problem or a fail light problem.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too, that's why you have to have a Tech-2 or similar to work on these. There's a guy on here in New Hampshire, don't remember where and if he's on the map to help out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr