09' SSV Rear Pass. Tail Light No "Running Lamps" w/ Fogs/Lights ON, Brake Lights Work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Guys this is my first of many posts, hopefully all on other topics besides troubleshooting issues. Just a background, working on cars since I was 15, changed motors/trans in driveway, do all my own work and maintenance on all my cars, now 33 I was finally able to afford a second car which I decided would be a 4x4 and finally got the 2009 5w4 SSV Tahoe.

The passenger side tail light does not light up, dimmed, when you turn on the fogs or the headlights. The other tail light has zero issues. The BRAKE LIGHTS do LIGHT UP when I depress the brake, the turn signal works as well, all the dimmed bulbs tho including the little side running light on the bottom corner doesn't light up.

Swapped all bulbs, they all work in the working, drivers side tail light

ALL fuses in the car, (even the hidden ones) have all been removed by hand and inspected...NONE blown

All grounds/wire looms under the rear, on both sides, traveling length of the frame across the car were shaken and inspected, nothing was out of order, some rust nothing disconnected or suspect, had bulbs dangling to check for shorts, the bulbs NEVER LIT UP ONCE.

This is very demoralizing for me, I've been lucky to never really have to deal with electrical gremlins, I think I have finally found one. Any ideas? I replaced the brake sensor already, did nothing but fix the cruise control (cruise works but the light doesn't go on on the console?) and traction control warnings I was getting.

I spent a lot of time on this, willing to try and check anything before taking it to the stealership, located 12miles NORTH OF DETROIT if your local and wanna hang/ troubleshoot.

Thanks and sorry this had to be my first post....

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, if you have fog lamps to turn on I believe you have something other than a factory SSV. (Unless you meant running lights..)

I had an issue with the rear driver lamp on my SSV. I had a second lens, swapped it in and that worked. I know it was the short connection under the vehicle, the 2 foot wire from the lens. I'm still a little stumped that I could not find any issue with the connection, but I know that was it.

Test the connection at the source, throw voltage on the leads going to the lens, or even just swap lenses.
Again, my lens tested OK, but something got screwed up when it was connected as it should be.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
sorry yes I mean running lamps, by lenses I assume you mean the entire tail light housing? I swapped the bulbs over so I don't understand how swapping the housing will make a difference. If you elaborate I'm willing to try anything. I did not swap the harnesses running to each tail. that is something I should've thought of. The harness that disconnects under each tail light, connection is stuck on the bottom of the frame rail.....that I can try tomorrow, otherwise I'm at a loss. I still find it hard to believe the SIGNALS and BRAKE LIGHTS work on the right side just not the running lamps on any of the right housings bulbs.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty good at electrically troubleshooting, and this didn't make any sense to me either. Testing the supply and throwing juice to the entire taillight housing showed it should have worked, but it didn't. Checked both sides of that harness at the bottom of the frame, cleaned it out well, etc., but that original housing never worked when installed. A connection issue in the plug, a connection that changed/pinched in the assembly when it was installed, who knows.

But it sounds like you are at the point to try anything... :)

I never liked connections behind the rear wheel, fought those with the old leveling pump.

It will at least confirm which side of that connection the issue is on. Although if it is upstream of that plug you will have a lot more fun to come... :-(

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Does the front parking light work on that side??

There are separate fuses for left and right parking lights...

LT PRK fuse 26
RT PRK fuse 27
Under hood fuse block.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
yes front light no issues, swapped harnesses and that was not it. Followed the brown wire as far as I could and it meet behind the spare tire which seems to have a weird junction, will follow that up this weekend if I can but the spare has never been removed so it looks rusted and broken, the spring is missing, thatll be a fun a job. Otherwise did a seafoam treatment, changed the oil and this baby is purring like a kitten. Got my Go Rhino bar on last weekend, just wish I could drive this thing around more, with no tail light running lamps I can easily get pulled over.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
going to jump the brown wire (parking/running lamps) from the drivers side tail over to the passenger tail and if that doesnt work there is some major issue that doesnt make sense

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
I ran a wire from the drivers side the passenger, problem solved....brown wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck