08 Denali back from the dead (Tow build) input welcome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrko4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2008 Denali that we have owned since 2012 w/ 180k on it. For the past few years I have used it mainly as a 3rd vehicle and exclusivly for towing (motorcycles). My plan was to trade in my wife's XC90 and get a new diesel 2022, but we really dont often have the whole family in her vehicle and prices are crazy right now. So the new plan is, sell her XC90 and fix up the paid off denali we have (get her a new midsize in a few years). The goal is to bullet proof the engine and much as possible while gaining some performance as a family hauler.

It is currenly in the shop getting a respray (had terrible clear coat pealing). I have ordered new wheels (chrome was pealing) and tires and lowering kit. This leads me to parts I could use some suggestions on. I plan to do:
-cam ? (looking for torque, this is where I could use the most help)
- DOD delete kit (this one )
-oil pump
-water pump
-AC compressor (failing)
-long tube headers (suggestions welcome here, sub $1400 would be nice)
-Tune (black bear most likely)
-New projector style headlights (always been a complaint)
-New head unit and rear DVD (little old and dated

Maybe:
-Big brake kit
-Leather wrapped dash (cracked)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be a great help. I have done a lot of research on the cam and DOD delete (not active on 08) but still not really sure about lifters etc. Thanks in advance.

-Kory

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!

Pics of the Denali would be appreciated

And for me, would love to know more about your XC90. Thinking about getting one..

OP
OP
M

Mrko4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome!!

Pics of the Denali would be appreciated

And for me, would love to know more about your XC90. Thinking about getting one..
I will get some photos up for sure. Should be cool to see as this plan comes together.

As far as the XC90 (2018) goes, its been great. The issues we are faced with are 1. as a family of 5 the kids are out growing the 3rd row. So it is becoming more of a 2 row vehicle. 2 the factory warranty is about to expire and I dont want to spend $5k on another 3 years of warranty. I do almost all my own work, planning on doing all the work on the yukon myself, but the XC90 looks like alien tech under the hood lol. Those things coupled with the very high trade in we have been offered, just makes sense. My wife is bummed, she loves it. Very easy to drive, its quick, great tech, quit and smooth. We just went down to VA beach (300 mile round trip) and avg 28mpg at about 70mph. Problems come long term from my research, 300hp out of that little 2.5L is asking a lot and guys on the forums are seeing issues over 100K.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Volvo and Acura both have those problems. Its a lot to ask out of a little 4 banger.

I was hoping it was a 2011 XC90 with the V8! Thats what I have been eye balling lately..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2008 Denali that we have owned since 2012 w/ 180k on it. For the past few years I have used it mainly as a 3rd vehicle and exclusivly for towing (motorcycles). My plan was to trade in my wife's XC90 and get a new diesel 2022, but we really dont often have the whole family in her vehicle and prices are crazy right now. So the new plan is, sell her XC90 and fix up the paid off denali we have (get her a new midsize in a few years). The goal is to bullet proof the engine and much as possible while gaining some performance as a family hauler.

It is currenly in the shop getting a respray (had terrible clear coat pealing). I have ordered new wheels (chrome was pealing) and tires and lowering kit. This leads me to parts I could use some suggestions on. I plan to do:
-cam ? (looking for torque, this is where I could use the most help)
- DOD delete kit (this one )
-oil pump
-water pump
-AC compressor (failing)
-long tube headers (suggestions welcome here, sub $1400 would be nice)
-Tune (black bear most likely)
-New projector style headlights (always been a complaint)
-New head unit and rear DVD (little old and dated

Maybe:
-Big brake kit
-Leather wrapped dash (cracked)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be a great help. I have done a lot of research on the cam and DOD delete (not active on 08) but still not really sure about lifters etc. Thanks in advance.

-Kory
Long Tube headers and most camshafts are not tow friendly, they move the powerband up higher robbing you of 60+ foot pounds of torque down low where it's needed.

Stick with the M365 oil pump. At 180K have you replaced the suspension and steering components yet?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need an AFM delete kit for a 2008. I used a Comp Cams 156-401-13 VVT cam and I'm very happy with it. The VVT keeps the power down low, just delete the timing chain with the tensioner and get an LS2 style chain and guide. It isn't super crazy so it works great with the stock torque converter. I used hardened pushrods and PSI valve springs to ensure no failures. Spend a little extra on headers and get the ARH headers. They literally drop in easier than the stock manifolds and y-pipe come out and they use better pipe. I did the Melling 10355 oil pump.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give Texas speed a call they’ll set you up with the right cam.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you want 'way' more power and potential driveability issues that your wife may not enjoy, I would first go with a Black Bear Performance tune. This tune will really wake up both your 6.2 motor and the 6 speed transmission. For ~$600, this is the best performance investment for your dollar. If, after you get this tune, you still are not satisfied with the overall performance improvement of the truck, then you can proceed with cams, etc. And for a nominal fee, you can get a future tune adjustment to bring out the full capabilities of any added equipment (like a cam).

OP
OP
M

Mrko4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless you want 'way' more power and potential driveability issues that your wife may not enjoy, I would first go with a Black Bear Performance tune. This tune will really wake up both your 6.2 motor and the 6 speed transmission. For ~$600, this is the best performance investment for your dollar. If, after you get this tune, you still are not satisfied with the overall performance improvement of the truck, then you can proceed with cams, etc. And for a nominal fee, you can get a future tune adjustment to bring out the full capabilities of any added equipment (like a cam).
Def a great idea. First issues is I need to get in there to replace the failed exhaust manifold. I also have to replace the AC compressor. have a good big of oil seepage going on in gaskets and hoses. So I am going to dive in and do a nice refresh under the hood.
Second, didnt explain it well, but she likely wont dive it often if ever at all. We are going to pick up a used RX350/MDX to hold her over for a few years (lowest depreciation). The yukon will be for soccer tournaments, vacations or towing the toys around. But I need to bullet proof it. I really neglected it over the years, so I am bringing it back to life. I dont trust it enough as is to just do a tune BUT I am considering skipping the LTH's as I am not looking for a crazy amount of power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14