08 Denali AWD swap time 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beachbum209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question. I have a 2008 GMC Yukon that has the 6.2 motor with AWD. I want to get a transfer case from a 08 Chevy Tahoe and swap so I can have 4x4 option. I blow cv axles in my Yukon all the time and with AWD I’m stuck. With the option to push a button and have two wheel drive I could at least still drive. Does anyone know if the Tahoe transfer case will bolt right up ? Thanks

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same question. Did you ever figure this out? I'm hoping GM used the same wiring harness in the Denali and just left the wires taped up behind the dash. Trying to find out if anyone has ever done this. I'm mainly interested because I want two speed transfer case, but selectable 4wd/ 2wd is also a plus.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure it could be done with a bit of work, it would require adding the front diff with solenoid and 4x4 transfer case and a bunch of wiring and programming
probably better off just selling and getting a 4wd
that being said, how in the world are blowing out axles? I drive the literal essence of life out of mine and have never blown out a axle, transmissions yes, differentials yes, axles no
even @Rocket Man had to do a supercharger flex in reverse to blow the front diff axle housing out, and @randeez added super mega turbo horse power to his to get any axle breakage

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it could be done with a bit of work, it would require adding the front diff with solenoid and 4x4 transfer case and a bunch of wiring and programming
probably better off just selling and getting a 4wd
that being said, how in the world are blowing out axles? I drive the literal essence of life out of mine and have never blown out a axle, transmissions yes, differentials yes, axles no
even @Rocket Man had to do a supercharger flex in reverse to blow the front diff axle housing out, and @randeez added super mega turbo horse power to his to get any axle breakage
All the above is true.. I was wanting to do the opposite of you, go AWD from 4x4. But it isn't cost effective to do this for my daily driver. Best of luck to you..

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is actually someone that did a full awd to 4x4 conversion on GMFS. lots of parts, changing drive modes is all electronic, need harnesses, dash buttons, bcm swap i think?

going 4x4 to awd wouldnt be hard, except for all the dash lights and warnings youd end up with. and the gmt900s use braking to control wheel spin youd lose out on. but the awd tcase haze zero electronics, and the front diff is just a solid axle no center axle disconnect.

mine currently has a np261hd manual transfer case in it, seemed easier than trying to integrate electronic shift transfer case. i never really had a plan to leave it in, just slapped it in 2wd and left it there with no front axles. I would have to rig something up with the front axle disconnect actuator, wiring diagrams seems pretty simple. and i could prob just crawl under a move the level to 4wd hi/lo by hand if i ever actually needed it. but the awd is simple if everything works.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the above is true.. I was wanting to do the opposite of you, go AWD from 4x4. But it isn't cost effective to do this for my daily driver. Best of luck to you..

there is actually someone that did a full awd to 4x4 conversion on GMFS. lots of parts, changing drive modes is all electronic, need harnesses, dash buttons, bcm swap i think?

going 4x4 to awd wouldnt be hard, except for all the dash lights and warnings youd end up with. and the gmt900s use braking to control wheel spin youd lose out on. but the awd tcase haze zero electronics, and the front diff is just a solid axle no center axle disconnect.

mine currently has a np261hd manual transfer case in it, seemed easier than trying to integrate electronic shift transfer case. i never really had a plan to leave it in, just slapped it in 2wd and left it there with no front axles. I would have to rig something up with the front axle disconnect actuator, wiring diagrams seems pretty simple. and i could prob just crawl under a move the level to 4wd hi/lo by hand if i ever actually needed it. but the awd is simple if everything works.

LT Holman from PowerNation TV has done this several times on GMT400s and 800s. Specifically, he's taken 4x4s and converted them to full time AWD.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is very fishy here. Ive never heard of a problem with blowing out CV axles on the K chassis. This sounds more like using china parts. What is the failure of the cv when they "blowout"? What are you doing when this happens?

mrpeterclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the AWD doesn’t have a CAD how does it handle differential spin when turning etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont