07 Z71, trade it in or throw on a blower? Thoughts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about trading in my 07 Z71 Tahoe for a new crew cab Denali pickup with the 6.2. Tahoe has 80k miles on it and I am the one and only owner. I am kind of torn right now on whether to dump more cash into it or to trade it in and move on.

If I kept it, I would throw on a supercharger, big brake kit, long tube headers, lower it, replace the cracked dash, and a new double din nav (8200nex). Would be a substantial amount of money to throw into a 10 year old truck though. No accidents and no body work ever. I have 4 vehicles so it doesn't get many miles put on it.

The new Denali pickups look really sharp so that's probably what I would go with if I trade it in. Any thoughts?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll jump in first. Only owner, low miles, all maintenance and quirks history is yours alone. If you just need to get rid of a spare vehicle, understood. Think of the $$ you might want to spend on it to mod it some more, compare that to new vehicle price initially, depreciation, new insurance, monthly truck payment unless you are paying off outright and finally what is the 07 worth to you. Would you miss it? Bored with it? How much do you think you can get for it by trade in or private sale.

Just some thoughts to consider. My 06 Tahoe has 75K, is paid off and I am the 2nd owner and have all maintenance history and mods. The only money I spend is normal maintenance and upkeep, fuel, a few mods here and there and insurance.

Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
UATahoe

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points. Cars have always been my hobby and most of them are toys. I have really love this Tahoe though. Would definitely miss it. I find myself wanting some of the newer luxuries like ventilated front seats, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, hid headlights etc. just not sure if it's worth it though. I have invested quite a bit into this Tahoe already through the years. The little cheap things have been getting under my skin though like the horrible cracking dash, power fold mirror gears stripping out, etc. it's a decision I have been wrestling with for a couple months now.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All very valid points on both sides of the coin from the keep it or get rid of it aspect. Always a personal decision and boils down to what you really want and if the nagging issues as mentioned overall are worth getting rid of a dependable and worthwhile vehicle for something newer and more expensive. Make the pros/cons list of keeping it and getting rid of it and what you will lose and/or gain with a new truck. See how that shakes out.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A further note. My 2006 has 75K, my new 2013 has 18K and I usually get to drive a new 15/16 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon for work. Love all 3 of them. My 06 of course had the least bells and whistles, but that is one of the main reasons I love it and the body style is my favorite hands down even though there are 1000s of them out there.

The 13 is perfect for the wife and kids and has the cool upgrades that she wanted in the LTZ and still 1/2 the price of the a new one. Plus I still get to some little mods to make it more personal and not like every other Suburban out there and perfect for road trips and grandparents too.

I like the 15+ models, the power, the extra stuff is great too, but still not worth it to me to ditch the older 2 models with such good history, low miles and everything I could need at this very moment and not that hefty price tag.

OP
OP
UATahoe

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good points. Appreciate the feedback. One other aspect, if I trade in and go new, it probably slows down my other project which is an ls conversion 87 Chevy pickup. Plan was to finish it out with new point and make it nice but that would go on the back burner with a new car in the mix.

OP
OP
UATahoe

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i am going to be keeping the 07. Parts are going to start showing up in bulk. Lol. Actually going to go the LSA supercharger route and then tackle a bunch of other mods. Should be a new truck when I am done. Looking forward to it actually.

Hid headlights and fogs
Advanced Keys passive keyless remote start
New dash
New 8200nex head unit
1.5/2 lowering kit and all new shocks
New upper and lower control arms
Long tube headers
Big brake kit front and rear
Belltech sway bars

Ready to get started. Lol

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa!

I like the sounds of that mods list. Should be badass when this all comes together. That's a sure fire way to keep you interested in it.

I think that is a pretty good decision IMO.

OP
OP
UATahoe

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty stoked. Have been wanting to do all of this for a long time think it will be a lot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts