06 Tahoe Z71, It begins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok time for an update, now that the weather is playing nice, i started pulling the old motor.

Quick question, what is the best practice to removing the torque converter bolts? any suggestion would be appreciated.
Nice build!

I just remove them with like a 15 mm shallow socket (I think the bolts are actually hex and Allen on the inside?) and a 16" breaker bar. The engine will spin over but the breaker bar will get held against the block and you apply leverage to it.

Then turn the engine over, which is the tedious part because you have to go to the front to turn the engine by the crank bolt. Unless you have one of those tools to turn the flex plate or a helper.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice build!

I just remove them with like a 15 mm shallow socket (I think the bolts are actually hex and Allen on the inside?) and a 16" breaker bar. The engine will spin over but the breaker bar will get held against the block and you apply leverage to it.

Then turn the engine over, which is the tedious part because you have to go to the front to turn the engine by the crank bolt. Unless you have one of those tools to turn the flex plate or a helper.

Access them through the starter hole right? Pipe wrench on the front pully will work too.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my plan i think, I hope i will have help this weekend, so i don't have to get super creative holding the crank in place.

Good luck. Wish I was there to help. Do you need to mark the flywheel to TC position? It's been a while since I pulled an engine. Some have offset bolt holes some don't.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Good luck. Wish I was there to help. Do you need to mark the flywheel to TC position? It's been a while since I pulled an engine. Some have offset bolt holes some don't.
I don't believe i need to mark TC, i am going to research that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019