07 Tahoe Shocks - Bilstein 24-186926 new install help

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by redbirds, Dec 6, 2018.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. redbirds

redbirds TYF Newbie

Name:
    LOS
    New to the forum so bear with me.... Just had mechanic install these on our 07 chevy tahoe LS and ran into a couple snags. For one the shocks do not come with the dust boot and the current boot on the stock shocks were in pretty bad shape. When we contacted bilstein they said no boot was necessary for these shocks per specifications nore did it mention anything about reusing the old which we found strange. Install continued without old boot... Mechanic rebuilt strut assembly with new shock and everything seemed fine, however now that i have ran it for a couple days i noticed the rod is not visible and shock is right up against the bump stop, ride is a bit different. So it seems the bump stop is always engaged. Wondering if anyone has encountered this before or is this normal? help is much appreciated

Old shocks.jpeg new shocks.jpeg installed.jpg

2. 97audia4

97audia4 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Id like to see the top of the shock inside the engine bay, the mechanic may have forgotten a spacer/stop during the install.

3. 97audia4

97audia4 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Id like to see the top of the shock inside the engine bay, the mechanic may have forgotten a spacer/stop during the install.

4. Derick

Derick Member

Name:
    Derick
    Following...I'm not familiar with their struts but I'm curious as to the resolution.

5. redbirds

redbirds TYF Newbie

Name:
    LOS
    couple pics of the engine bay....

engine bay2.jpg engine bay1.jpg

6. jz57

jz57 Full Access Member

Name:
    J
    Without that rubber boot, soon or late, the shock could develop leaking because of road debris and salt hitting the piston rod. Also, the rubber boot has a lip on its top, which acts like a spring seat/pad/cushion. without the rubber boot, the riding could be rough. It must be installed for street riding.

The rubber boots is available in rockauto.com

7. redbirds

redbirds TYF Newbie

Name:
    LOS
    So you think the boot missing is causing the space issue as well?

8. jz57

jz57 Full Access Member

Name:
    J
    The bumper stop should sit at the bottom of the piston rod. From the pix, the installation is fine except missing the boot.