07 Denali passive conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Babacah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes, another thread because I've searched and can't seem to piece together the needed information.

I need resistors, I've got that information.

I need rear shocks. Stock's are blown and so is the pump.

I believe I need rear springs, is that true?

If I use resistors in back can I avoid replacing front stock that are still good?

I remember reading but can't find it that the stock z71 suspension was a good option, does anyone have parts numbers?

What have others used to go to a passive system?

Thanks.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes get rear springs... mine are way too soft.

If you use resistors in the rear you can leave the functioning front shocks.

Brian Woodiwiss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never looked into the resistor, but another option is to shorten the pot switch rods so the air ride thinks it level or a bit higher, then it wont kick the compressor or a service air ride light. just a thought.

OP
OP
B

Babacah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for part number on Moog springs, great price. Are these the same as the factory Z71?

Should I go with the GM z71 shocks #25871231 about $75 each or is there a better alternative?

Do I have the standard rear springs that come with premium ride? I looked at the parts diagram and there seems to be two options for rear spings, off road and non-off road.

If I do the front at the same time do I need springs also? Parts diagrams for front suspension shows set up with and one without springs.

Thanks.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for part number on Moog springs, great price. Are these the same as the factory Z71?

Should I go with the GM z71 shocks #25871231 about $75 each or is there a better alternative?

Do I have the standard rear springs that come with premium ride? I looked at the parts diagram and there seems to be two options for rear spings, off road and non-off road.

If I do the front at the same time do I need springs also? Parts diagrams for front suspension shows set up with and one without springs.

Thanks.
I believe that 81071 is the springs for non Z71. Everyone seems to be happy with the Z71 springs from what I have seem. There is a third set of springs that comes with the air ride that are much weaker since the air ride shockhelps to support the vehicle. They really do not work well with standard shocks in my experience. Mine were run with blown rear shocks for years andlikelymore mileage than yours do so that may be part of my issue.

The z71 springs do have a tendency to lift the rear a half inch or so compared to the weaker springs, but on your autoride vehicle they will probably bring it back up to where it was with functional autoride.

Instead of GM shocks for $75 I would absolutely recommend running bilsteins. I have a set on my other vehicle and I LOVE them. I have run KYB Monomax, Gabriel MaxControl, and Bilstein 5100s (all of which are monotube top of their respective lines) on large vehicles now and the Bilsteins are the best. Many users are happy with their bilstein shocks on these vehicles as well.

No idea on the front. NBS rigs are torsion bar sprung instead of coil sprung.

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never looked into the resistor, but another option is to shorten the pot switch rods so the air ride thinks it level or a bit higher, then it wont kick the compressor or a service air ride light. just a thought.
The problem with that is when you load the vehicle down the compressor will run.

OP
OP
B

Babacah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found a deal on the OEM premium ride shock(25871227), I got both delivered for $50. I plan to put them in place with the resistor and then add a better spring if needed. I've been running for over a year with blown rears and honestly it really hasn't bothered me. If I can fix two blown air shocks and a bad pump for $55 I'll be pretty happy. I have 155,000 miles, I don't do any towing. Ocassionally I do load it down pretty heavy though.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a deal on the OEM premium ride shock(25871227), I got both delivered for $50. I plan to put them in place with the resistor and then add a better spring if needed. I've been running for over a year with blown rears and honestly it really hasn't bothered me. If I can fix two blown air shocks and a bad pump for $55 I'll be pretty happy. I have 155,000 miles, I don't do any towing. Ocassionally I do load it down pretty heavy though.

Are you sure that the compressor is blown? Have you checked the fuse for the compressor? I though my compressor was shot, turned out that the fuse had popped. Replaced and it started right up.