05Single's virgin build thread. 03 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to candy my turns in the rear. Can't stand amber

View attachment 169983

View attachment 169984

View attachment 169985

View attachment 169986

View attachment 169987

View attachment 169988

Gonna redo them this spring and spray the whole light instead of just the blinker for a even blend. But for now it came out good.

View attachment 169989
Really like this mod. I've never tried this. The red just goes right over the amber, and looks red? Just spray enough coats, to match the existing bottom lens? then a couple clear coats obviously.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
05Single, been checking out your neat mods.... I am a recent owner of an '05 Yukon XL SLT, Carbon Metallic. I like improving my ext lighting...... ( without re-wiring, etc).....

I'm in Florida.... so I don't have snow ahead of me :( I found an HONEST salvage yard that does not remove parts BEFORE we pay to go in and search for the same parts they already removed.

I got 4 puddle light lenses ($2.50 each)..... I have LED bulbs in the truck right now, but GM "frosted" their OEM puddle lenses - ( What was the point??) I picked up these extra lenses to see if I can sand/polish the lens to make the puddle light brighter, with a clear finish. ( I thought a member already tried that already, but can't find the posts).....

ALSO.... My Yukon has the Weathertech "in-channel" Rain Guards, as you mentioned getting.
The rear window guards have a needed metal tab to hold the guards in place. The front guards do not, but they need them. The front guards tend to fall, and then the window, raising closed, pushes the guards back into place.
The reason for the problem is , the stock rubber window trim is not a solid shape... The rubber is 'concave', and has little surface to hold the rain guards securely. Well, I came up with an easy/cheap solution.

The photos show, the shape & how hollow the weather window edge trim is on the inside.
Get vacuum hose & just fit it inside the weather strip to fill the empty space underneath, after installing the rain guard.
Cut the extra length when you get to the end & stuff inside.
The vacuum hose gives more grip to the Rain Guard.
Now the Rain Guard won't keep falling down.

2005 Yukon upper window seal.jpg Installing rubber tube.jpg 2005 Yukon forward with insert.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Really like this mod. I've never tried this. The red just goes right over the amber, and looks red? Just spray enough coats, to match the existing bottom lens? then a couple clear coats obviously.
Just sprayed the amber part. Taped the rest off. Some people spray the whole light for an even look. But with that part being indented it really doesnt matter. It matched near perfect. About 3 coats if I remember. And 2 coats of clear

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
05Single, been checking out your neat mods.... I am a recent owner of an '05 Yukon XL SLT, Carbon Metallic. I like improving my ext lighting...... ( without re-wiring, etc).....

I'm in Florida.... so I don't have snow ahead of me :( I found an HONEST salvage yard that does not remove parts BEFORE we pay to go in and search for the same parts they already removed.

I got 4 puddle light lenses ($2.50 each)..... I have LED bulbs in the truck right now, but GM "frosted" their OEM puddle lenses - ( What was the point??) I picked up these extra lenses to see if I can sand/polish the lens to make the puddle light brighter, with a clear finish. ( I thought a member already tried that already, but can't find the posts).....

ALSO.... My Yukon has the Weathertech "in-channel" Rain Guards, as you mentioned getting.
The rear window guards have a needed metal tab to hold the guards in place. The front guards do not, but they need them. The front guards tend to fall, and then the window, raising closed, pushes the guards back into place.
The reason for the problem is , the stock rubber window trim is not a solid shape... The rubber is 'concave', and has little surface to hold the rain guards securely. Well, I came up with an easy/cheap solution.

The photos show, the shape & how hollow the weather window edge trim is on the inside.
Get vacuum hose & just fit it inside the weather strip to fill the empty space underneath, after installing the rain guard.
Cut the extra length when you get to the end & stuff inside.
The vacuum hose gives more grip to the Rain Guard.
Now the Rain Guard won't keep falling down.

View attachment 213913 View attachment 213914 View attachment 213915
Interesting on both parts. Sanding the lens should work in theory but I've never tried. Instead I used super bright eagle eye bolts which are 10x brighter than any pnp bulb, and never went back to stock.
I'm keeping my gm accessory vents as i now prefer the painted look, so no in channel style for me.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Meat nods
Speaking of meaty nods, installed the new set of tails. I like the look of these ones better. The reverse light is moved up next to the brake lights. So with my switchback white/red reverse lights they line up as one big light. Where the other set there was a break in between the reverse light and brake light. Same finish , chrome housing with smoke lens
20181220_160806.jpg 20181205_115947.jpg 20190112_170757.jpg 20181221_084723.jpg 20190112_170745.jpg

Also let me add that the cruise control did not work with the last set of tails. And cruise still doesnt work with this style either. No big deal to me but just some info for those who might want to know.

Last edited:

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which bulbs do you have for the license plate lights? Those lights be bright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE