05 Yukon Denali with 20"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked up an 05 Yukon Denali late December. It was a steal but I found what appears someone installed 20" Denali Rims on it. The door tag says it came factory with 17" rims. Did the 05 even have the 20" option available then? Its too early to tell how it rides because when I picked it up the front end suspension was ruined. It needed everything from ball joints, control arm bushings to tie rods. I do mean everything. I should have that completed here next Saturday.
My dilemma is sometime late summer It will probably be ready for a new set of tires. Do I go find me some salvage yard 17" Denali rims or just get new 20" tires. Anyone have any insight to which way to go (why/why not)? My Denali will probably never be off road and strictly used for on road with probably some towing (5400lb 32ft camper or a tandem axle enclosed trailer). Now my Tahoes....they go offroad every hunting season...they get minor beatings.

I reckon I ought to check the size of the spare tire Saturday when I crawl back under it.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we are suppose to put a 16" spare tire on a vehicle that has 20's on it? I cant imagine how that would handle. Does everyone that has 20" rims have sticker on their driver door that shows 17" rims?

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What style Denali rims are on it these? Whatever style they are keep them

IMG_2093.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we are suppose to put a 16" on vehicle that has 20's on it? I cant imagine how that would handle. Does everyone that has 20" rims have sticker on their driver door that shows 17" rims?

My Yukon had 20" rims installed at the dealership when new. They placed a new sticker over the original factory sticker.

20170213_201354-1.jpg

It shows to use the original spare.

Since I primarily use my Yukon for towing a travel trailer and it is AWD I wanted to have a full sized matched spare. I found a matching used tire on ebay and a cosmetically damaged 20" rim at a local salvage yard that I have now installed in place of the OEM 16" spare.

Now if I ever get a flat 300 miles away from home with a trailer behind me I can get home and not have to worry about my AWD.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes many of the nbs Denalis came with factory 20s. Theres a couple here in big bear that have that style wheel. I really like that particular set. My 2006 has stock denali 17s. I've ridden 8n quite a few that have 20s and the ride isn't much different that mine.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the picture above my screen name. :p

Keep them why would you ditch those for smaller rims my 20's on the Escalade ride great if your worried about ride quality

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep them why would you ditch those for smaller rims my 20's on the Escalade ride great if your worried about ride quality

Not so much worried about the ride quality because ive never had 20s on anything so I wouldnt have a clue as far as that. Its the cost of the darn tires. But I did find some for $116 each that I might try when im ready for tires by November. http://www.tirebarn.com/Tire-Detail...102/sid/16795316?brand=Economy&size=275-55R20
Ive gotta put new tires on my Tahoe(2003) in the next month or so and I just got done buying everything for the front end of the Denali. My Tahoe is next for front end rebuild then summer the girlfriends Tahoe (2003) gets a rebuilt transfer case and front end rebuild. So we have 2 Tahoes and the Yukon that all need love this year.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so much worried about the ride quality because ive never had 20s on anything so I wouldnt have a clue as far as that. Its the cost of the darn tires. But I did find some for $116 each that I might try when im ready for tires by November. http://www.tirebarn.com/Tire-Detail...102/sid/16795316?brand=Economy&size=275-55R20
Ive gotta put new tires on my Tahoe(2003) in the next month or so and I just got done buying everything for the front end of the Denali. My Tahoe is next for front end rebuild then summer the girlfriends Tahoe (2003) gets a rebuilt transfer case and front end rebuild. So we have 2 Tahoes and the Yukon that all need love this year.

Oh damn, keep an eye on CL for tires might get a good deal, I found tires off a NNBS LTZ Tahoe with 3k miles for $250 might get lucky and find a deal like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz