05 Tahoe and 03 Yukon swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey bro, I gotta 04 Tahoe, 5.3. I've lose my 3rd gear. Sux really bad. I just bought an 03 Yukon with same motor. I'm wanting to take motor and trans outta the Yukon n put both into the Tahoe.
What I'm needing to know is can I bring both trans and engine out without sperating them?
If anyone knows n can gimme some insight, that's b great!!
Any advice would b awesome. I'm open to all suggestions and input. Thanx

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you scanned for any codes on your transmission?

What do you mean by no 3rd gear?

It could be something far simpler than swapping the entire drivetrain.

It could be something in the valve body of the transmission.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes you can pull them both still connected. Though, if I'm pulling out the top, I always separate because it's just easier. Some will leave them together though. I just prefer separating to make things easier to maneuver and remove.

I'd agree though, make sure your trans is bad before just pulling it. Maybe pay to have it diagnosed if you aren't sure. Could end up only costing a couple hundred bucks and you're back on the road without having to go through that headache of swapping drivelines.

OP
OP
Ben Solo

Ben Solo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I prolly will get another shop opinion. The trans cooling line that goes into the trans got stepped on. I didn't know that had caused tranny fluid to leak at that spot. Driveway is gravel so it's pretty hard to see much. But one day it started to struggle just to run. Felt like I was pulling some semis. Then after some searching found the leak and tranny fluid was done.
Well, I don't have a 3rd gear now. In drive, I can feel it move from 1st to 2nd. But from 2nd to 3rd, it's completely neutral. And the oil pressure also rises. So I usually go to drive only when I'm past 40. But I've been riding in 2nd for about a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700