'04 Tahoe Z71 stock shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on shock replacement for a stock Z71 4wd Tahoe. My old girl has almost 300k miles now, sitting at 293k and I think the factory red Tenneco shocks are done.

I'm shying away from Bilstein 5100's because about 10 years ago I had them on an '01 2500HD CC LB 4wd truck that was leveled, and while they were great when new within a year I felt the ride became very harsh. I use the Tahoe as my mission mobile and want comfort and smooth ride with how much I drive this thing. If I could, I would run a set of take off, low mileage red Tenneco's but I have been unable to find a set to buy. Anyone care to weigh in with experiences on replacement shocks. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arnott is a brand I see on the forum a lot and folks seem happy

Are the Arnott's the replacement for the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon with the air ride shocks? The Z71 Tahoe does not have air ride shocks. I did a little searching and saw a lot having to do with air shocks.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they sell both. You’ll definitely want to avoid those. The other route you can take is getting the GM part number for stock shocks and searching on line. What year is your Tahoe? I did a quick search for oem for a 2000 and found quite a few but the GM part number would be better

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tenneco shocks are real soft. My 06 Yukon with 125K miles had the blue 4x4 shocks on it. They were still good and real stiff to push down. I thought might as well replace them. A buddy of mine had some red Tenneco shocks her removed with almos 0 miles from his 02 Silverado Z71 when he raised it. I had to remove the Tenneco shock the front end was scary! I dropped in a set of Bilstein and couldn't be happier. I sold my old one on Facebook Market place.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tenneco shocks are real soft. My 06 Yukon with 125K miles had the blue 4x4 shocks on it. They were still good and real stiff to push down. I thought might as well replace them. A buddy of mine had some red Tenneco shocks her removed with almos 0 miles from his 02 Silverado Z71 when he raised it. I had to remove the Tenneco shock the front end was scary! I dropped in a set of Bilstein and couldn't be happier. I sold my old one on Facebook Market place.

Did you sell the Tenneco's or your original blue 4x4 shocks? If you have the Tenneco's, I may be interested. Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal