04 Tahoe Z71 resto/audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many pounds you think you'll add in the end? Looks great!

OP
OP
Brian_smith06

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
I added about 15ish pounds to each door. I was aiming to keep it under 20. The new owner of my old car has had an issue with the door hinge breaking due to how much material I added to that car. Granted it was a cavalier and this is a Tahoe. Tahoe is built a hair better.

deadener was .45 per square foot and I did 15 square feet so 6.75 there
mass loaded vinyl was 1 lb per square foot so and I added about 6 lbs there
speaker was 5 lbs but not sure what factory weighs? This speaker is beefy.

so approximately 15lbs

Im an audio guy which is why I did this. Honestly I have never really complained about the road noise in this vehicle, however, the mass loaded vinyl did help more than I anticipated.

Still need to do the rear doors though. I may do that this week depending on how late my wife stays at work?

This is the mass loaded vinyl I used. It is a great product just a hair expensive. I had 2 sheets left over from my old car. I finished them up on the front doors.
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-liner-pro-1-sheet-24x54-9sqft/

For the rear doors and rest of the car I plan to order this product due to how cheap it is. Will have to add a closed cell foam to it though to decouple but even with that its still a lot cheaper than the other product.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-4-ft-x-8-ft-Acoustical-Barrier-DB348X96BX/100663624

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian_smith06

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
Worked on it a bit tonight. It's fugly as of right now but now that I know I can fit 2 amps under one seat I plan to make it pretty. I no longer have any intentions of selling them now
IMAG1525.jpg

OP
OP
Brian_smith06

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
New wheel bearing.
IMAG1612.jpg

Old
IMAG1613.jpg
New one with backing plate installed backwards. Had to pull it all back apart again and go correctly.
IMAG1615.jpg

Parts vehicle my dad has at his shop for me. Actually had a freshly rebuilt transmission before it was wrecked so if mine goes out I'm gold
IMAG1617.jpg

Found this little bastard in my tire. Was a good time to find though. My dad patched it right up for me
IMAG1618.jpg

OP
OP
Brian_smith06

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
Bit of an update on the Tahoe. Looks like the motor might be getting swapped out? Checked the oil today and there was quite a bit of coolant in there. Praying it's just the head gasket and that'll fix the issue and the coolant hasn't messed with bearings etc too much.

Luckily I do have a spare motor at my dads shop but damn that's going to be a shot load of work!

OP
OP
Brian_smith06

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
Looked at oil today over break on dipstick vs the oil cap. Didn't appear to be any traces on it. I'm beginning to think I was over thinking it yesterday? That being said still considering pulling spare motor I have and rebuilding it and swapping anyway?

OP
OP
Brian_smith06

Brian_smith06

Reaction score
Had my dad look at it and it looks like I will be getting new head gaskets. I will take that over a swap/rebuild any day. While in going to replace knock sensors and probably intake gaskets. Anything else I should do while apart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet